Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

ds 3 yo has a skin allergy, have I done enough?

(3 Posts)
manechanger Sun 04-Jan-15 19:51:00

ds has reacted to something, we think it is hypoallergenic bath soap - my dd got him in the bath and applied the soap - I turned up a couple of minutes later and his arms are red and warm with definite edges to the red. I've given him about a third of a teaspoon of piriton and he is in bed. sounds like he's asleep. Dd used to have a milk allergy and would vomit so I would have been more hesitant to put her to bed, I'm presuming he wont vomit with a skin allergy and that he is now ok. Have I under-reacted?

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Mon 05-Jan-15 13:07:00

I think you did the right thing. How was he this morning?

My DH and DD have to watch what they use on their skin. They learned the hard way that many products labelled “hypoallergenic,” meaning they are less likely to cause an allergic reaction than other products, do in fact contain lanolin which can really irritate. Creams or bath oil by Dermol or Aveeno are worth checking out.

manechanger Mon 05-Jan-15 17:56:08

he's fine thanks for asking. I wasn't overly worried so i had a glass of wine by which time i presumed he probably hadn't choked on vomit in the night. I was right and the red has gone down.

You are right the hypoallergenic is obv not really, it was sanex 0% hypoallergenic. i have been using as bathbubbles but dd used it right on his skin which really reacted. Dh was out but when he returned he said he thinks it had happened before so we wont use again. His older brother uses aveeno cream to get rid of his minor excema and it has been brilliant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now