Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Son was bitten by hamster. Is it infected?

(5 Posts)
lelanderson Sun 04-Jan-15 13:44:02

Hi im new here and was hoping for a bit of advice. My son was bitten on the finger last week by his hamster. It was a deep bite (could see bone or tendon) and it didnt stop bleeding for 45 mins. We called nhs 24 for advice and they told us to take him to a&e which we did. They cleaned wound and said they dont close animal bites in case of infection but they did give him antibiotics. Anyway, 6 days have passed and the wound looks like this . Its only sore if he presses it but it feels hot and is swollen. Should I take him back to a&e or wait until my GP opens tomorrow? Thanks

ggirl Sun 04-Jan-15 13:50:15

TBH it doesn't look infected to me in that picture but may be computer screen. Def can wait until tomorrow to see a nurse at the practice if you say its hotter and redder than it was.I think it looks like its healing well but hard to say with a picture
If your ds is well in himself it can wait.

DropYourSword Sun 04-Jan-15 13:50:29

Doesn't look great, but it's not red or swollen and doesn't look like it's kicking out purulent discharge. If your son isn't running a temperature or feeling unwell I'd say it can wait until GP opens. I don't think this is requires a visit to A&E.

Hope he heals quickly!

lelanderson Sun 04-Jan-15 14:01:06

Thank you both. I guess I just needed a little reassurance. I will call the Gp in the morning and have him seen there. Its red/yellow and oozing a little so I think there could be a little bit of infection.

lemisscared Sun 04-Jan-15 14:03:27

put some honey on it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now