Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Doctor says 4mo is fine, I know she's not.. WWYD?

(53 Posts)
Feelingverydishonest Sat 03-Jan-15 19:08:17

4mo DD has had a chesty cough for over a month. She screams in pain after every cough and burp. Is not taking her bottle properly and won't lay on her back.
I took her to out of hours on Xmas eve after 111 told me I needed to go, doctor looked as if he had been up all night checked her over while she was asleep and said she's fine and told me she didn't have a chesty cough, I disputed this and he told me I was a paranoid FTM.
DP Took her again to normal GP a few days ago as it got worse and DM has pneumonia so wanted to check - doctor once again said she was fine and sent them on there way
My poor little girl seems to be in so much pain, constantly coughing, rattly chest, screaming (and I mean screaming!!) in pain every 5 mins or so when she coughs. Started taking about 2 hours toget to sleep do to it and waking up every few hours with it.
So WWYD? After 2 doctors have said she's fine should I just leave it? after a month it's getting worse rather than better! Or should I take her back? I don't want to waste there time but I don't know what to do! Any advise will be greatly appreciated sad

StarlingMurmuration Sat 03-Jan-15 19:11:28

Can you video her coughing and screaming? I had to do this to get them to take DS's reflux seriously because when he went to the surgery, he was always quite calm.

306235388 Sat 03-Jan-15 19:11:48

I'd take her back, yes. She might just be taking a while to shift a virus but she might not and if you're worried then get her seen. Always trust your instinct.

ChippingInLovesChristmasLights Sat 03-Jan-15 19:12:40

Take her back. Keep taking her back until someone listens to you. YOU are the only ones who will suffer if SHE has to prove them wrong. Keep going back, better still the next place you take her, don't leave until someone takes you seriously.

vestandknickers Sat 03-Jan-15 19:13:56

Take her back. Hopefully they are right and she's fine, but you need to put your mind at rest. I hope she feels better soon.

Woopsiedaisy Sat 03-Jan-15 19:14:41

Video her screaming in pain after each cough and keep a diary of her behaviour tonight / tomorrow.

Then go back to your Doctor Monday morning and insist that she is properly checked out.

You are the Mum and you know if something is not right. Doctors are only human and they make mistakes !!!

youarekiddingme Sat 03-Jan-15 19:15:29

If it's happening requently and she's constantly screaming I'd be going to a and e.

If it's just when she coughs and she gets respite from that cough I'd be recording when it happens. Eg is it after a fed? Also film it happening so the dr can see it for themselves if they aren't witnessing it in surgery.

Hope it gets sorted soon - I believe if a parent feels something is not right - then something is not right.

mabelbabel Sat 03-Jan-15 19:16:59

I would go back if you are still not happy.
If gp still sure all is well make sure you ask
them under what circumstances you should return... (change in symptoms etc).

Queazy Sat 03-Jan-15 19:17:48

I too would video her and demand a consultation. Ask them how long a tiny baby needs to be in pain for until someone will fully check the poor think over and at least try to get to the bottom of it. God, I'm angry for you. I really pushed it when my dd ended up in A&E and out of hours Dr twice - hers was reflux but I basically researched as much as I could and, without trying to don the cap of Dr Google, I insisted that her behaviour and crying wasn't right.

Wailywailywaily Sat 03-Jan-15 19:19:15

I know it may seem like overreacting but I would probably go to A&E if you are that worried.
I have done this only twice with DS and both times his symptoms were vague but I was sure something was wrong. Both times they were amazing, took me completely seriously and checked him over really well. The first time they just reasured me that he was fine but the second time (unrelated) they did find something serious and I'm so glad I trusted my instinct.

Jenny2014 Sat 03-Jan-15 19:22:17

As others have said go back to the GP. Sounds awful but I find our doctors take our dc's illnesses more seriously if I go to explain rather than dh. I'd also say, if she's running a temperature withhold her Calpol just before going for your appt (having a stroppy baby who's running a temp seems to help too). Fingers crossed you get to the bottom of it and that your dd feels better soon.

NowThenMardyBum Sat 03-Jan-15 19:26:14

Def take her back until they do something. I was told i was overthinking DDs very odd symptoms (i have some medical knowledge and knew something was quite wrong), sent away only to see 2 more GPs before demanding further investigation. After being sent to hospital for tests, she was admitted for more than 2 weeks, diagnosed with cancer and a rare type of condition caused by the cancer. Thankfully we are on the road to recovery but it has been a long and scary time, I'm just pleased i stuck to my guns and insisted something was done.

Never again will anyone make me doubt my instincts when it comes to my DC

Hope your DD is ok flowers

Snappynewyear Sat 03-Jan-15 19:29:07

Sounds like reflux. Have you asked your GP of HV if this is the case?

3littlefrogs Sat 03-Jan-15 19:29:17

Definitely doesn't sound right to me.
She is 4 months old and has had a chesty, rattly cough for a month?

How is her weight gain?
Is she having enough wet and dirty nappies?

Feelingverydishonest Sat 03-Jan-15 19:30:21

Thank you, you've all given me the kick I've needed and not made me feel like I'm wasting there time. I've called 111 and they have once again said I need to go to the doctors ASAP they've booked me in for an out of hours in an hour so will take her then - the lady at 111 was very nice and got me an urgent appointment. mardy sorry to hear about your DD, glad she is recovering flowers

littleducks Sat 03-Jan-15 19:31:58

sounds like reflux the irritating acid could cause cough but the Dr heard a clear chest.

Sunshine200 Sat 03-Jan-15 19:36:20

I was going to suggest reflux as that can often come with a cough, not sure about a rattly one though.

Feelingverydishonest Sat 03-Jan-15 19:45:21

Can doctors test for reflux easily? Thank you!

StarlingMurmuration Sat 03-Jan-15 19:54:46

There isn't really a test for reflux, annoyingly. It's just a diagnosis made from the symptoms. Ask for gaviscon as a first step, then ranitidine. Fingers crossed they take you seriously... My LO is only seven weeks old but I already know how heartbreaking it is when doctors won't take you seriously. It took me refusing to leave the doctor's office until he gave me a prescription before they trusted my instincts.

mymatemax Sat 03-Jan-15 20:55:26

Proper reflux testing can be invasive (Ph probe down throat for 48 hr) aspirating in to the lungs can cause chest infections. but even mild reflux is ver distressing for all

WrappedInABlankie Sat 03-Jan-15 21:02:34

How did you get on OP?

northernlurker Sat 03-Jan-15 21:09:40

Out of hours is appropriate and I hope the OP gets seen and helped but please don't suggest A&E for this kind of ongoing problem. It is NOT an emergency as such and A&Es are under terrifying pressure atm.

youarekiddingme Sat 03-Jan-15 21:16:31

I disagree with it not being an emergency. My DSis ended up in a and e with my nephew at similar age with similar symptoms. He screamed the entire 8 hours she was there. They encouraged her to feed him etc. turns out he had dairy intolerance so she was effectively making him ill everyday unwittingly. That would have carried on if she kept just going back to gps to hear it's pfb-itis.

noseymcposey Sat 03-Jan-15 21:33:25

How did you get on OP?

northernlurker Sat 03-Jan-15 22:23:42

This baby has been ill for a month and dairy intolerance is not an emergency.

I hope the Op has made progress however.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now