Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

2yo with high fever after antibiotics - pneumonia?

(9 Posts)
PatterofaMinion Sat 03-Jan-15 12:29:55

I hope this doesn't sound too stupid.

Ds is just 2 and he started with a high temp on Christmas evening, it went on for about 4 days and I took him to the GP on Tuesday, who said he could hear noises in his chest and gave us amoxy 500 for 5 days.

He's been having them despite the struggle to get them into him. He's been irritable and keeps waking crying and doesn't want to be touched.

He isn't eating food either - just breastfeeding constantly.

He's having a lot of what you might call tantrums as well which he has never had until now, and I took his temp this morning and it was 39.

So he's on the last day of the antibiotics and still coughing occasionally (it was always just occasional, but sounded/sounds chesty) and I'm taking him to the OOH in an hour.

What should I be asking, and do you think this might just be a virus that's returned or something more serious? All of us have had the cough but any temp was brief.

Thanks for reading.

PatterofaMinion Sat 03-Jan-15 15:50:38

Well we went and the Dr was quite worried about him and said his chest is still full of infection.

He has given us clarythromycin this time which I tried to give ds and most of it got spat out.

The Dr said take him to the GP again on Monday, but keep a close eye on him over the weekend and if he gets any worse then take him straight to A&E as they will want to admit him.

I'm confused about what to do. Possibly a boring thread but does anyone have any experience? His breathing is currently fairly Ok and he's just gone to sleep but I am worried that he isn't getting the antibiotic into his system.

PatterofaMinion Sat 03-Jan-15 18:35:01

anyone

306235388 Sat 03-Jan-15 19:22:54

Clarithromycin is horrible horrible stuff. The only way my Ds will take it and he is a lot older is mixed into a fruit purée a teeny tiny bit at a time.

If I were you I'd call someone for advice and say he hasn't had the antibiotic and you're worried.

Showy Sat 03-Jan-15 19:30:28

How are you giving the antibiotics? The hospital will hold him on his back and squirt it in his cheek and wait for him to swallow. DS had double pneumonia and they did this. Watch his resp rate, heartrate, pulling in round ribs/neck when breathing, skin tone, rousability. Any changes in them, get seen. Otherwise, you have to get the antibiotics in with bribery/stealth or brute force.

Snappynewyear Sat 03-Jan-15 19:35:16

It might just be you need to get someone to hold him still in an upright position and squirt the antibiotic with a syringe into his cheek and hold his mouth closed.

Obviously try in yogurt and drinks first but I doubt that will be successful if he is refusing food anyway.

If he goes into hospital they will do this anyway before giving in and putting an intravenous drip up and give the meds this way. Traumatic whatever you do.

cathpip Sat 03-Jan-15 19:48:00

As all the others have said. If you are even in the slightest bit worried take him to a and e, they don't mind. Pneumonia kills, and I wouldn't wish the hell that is my life now on any mother.

SnowLondon Mon 05-Jan-15 18:29:44

How is he?

PatterofaMinion Wed 07-Jan-15 14:21:05

Thank you all so much. I'm sorry I haven't been back to update. He was seen at A&E and they took his sats and they were OK, and though he was having some retractions earlier, she didn't see them so we went home.

I was glad I had taken him though as he was very hot again that night and I didn't even want to take his temperature as I thought it would be over 40, so I didn't, I just held him and gave him nurofen and thankfully he got a bit cooler.

I think the clarithromycin has kicked in properly now as he has been much more normal, and temps are right down. He's still stroppy but fingers crossed this time the meds work.

Your posts were just what I needed the other night though I read them when we got back, and didn't have the energy to reply. Thank you all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now