Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Painful wind - what to do?

(7 Posts)
kittsbear Fri 02-Jan-15 20:35:29

First post, desperate for any help.

Ds is nearly 3 weeks old and for the last week or so he has had agonising wind. He wakes up screaming, will go to drop off to sleep and wake up with it, will fuss a lot during feeds. Every scream is followed by a fart or a poop. He is combi fed as my wife has low supply, and is on hipp combiotic. He settles but then is woken up by this pain, and we don't know what to do. We can't sleep because he can't sleep, we have him on us to settle him more quickly after a painful episode but we cant sleep with him on us obviously.

It doesn't fit my understanding of colic per se, because he doesn't cry constantly and only seems related to his bowel movements. We took him to cranial osteopath this morning and he's moving his bowels more often but still in pain from farts. We try massage and lifting legs etc but often he is too tense or it hurts him more. We tried infacol but he got constipated and midwife told us is a placebo more than anything.

Please, can anyone help? I'm back to work soon and don't know what to do if he's still unable to get even a couple of hours sleep.

LittleBearPad Fri 02-Jan-15 22:53:19

I assume you're winding him really well during and after feeds?
Infacol can work, it won't hurt to keep trying it
Tiger in the tree hold (Google it) can help
It will pass as he gets older. Good luck.

Groovester Fri 02-Jan-15 23:00:44

Infacol before feeding.
Stop to wind regularly through feeds (3-4 times.)
I have a 12 wk old. We lie her down for a few minutes before winding. When she comes up, the wind comes up easily. It has got easier as she gets bigger though.
My son just vomited a lot :0/

Groovester Fri 02-Jan-15 23:01:34

If you don't like infacol, old fashioned gripe water instead?

minipie Fri 02-Jan-15 23:06:08

Has he been checked for tongue tie? (by someone who knows what to look for - most gps and many HVs and midwives don't). Low supply plus wind plus fussing at feeds suggests tongue tie to me.

LittleBearPad Fri 02-Jan-15 23:09:38

Gripe water is ok from 2 months I think.

Groovester Fri 02-Jan-15 23:20:21

Also, dr brown's bottles made a huge difference to my daughter's feeds (and I'm combi-feeding too.) They were rubbish with my son though. All babies are different of course.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now