Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

This temp/cough thing...back again after antibiotics. I'm worried.

(11 Posts)
iamthedanger Fri 02-Jan-15 19:56:45

Will try to keep this brief.

My ds, 6, developed this cough virus things about 3 weeks ago. After several days it developed into a persistent fever, general malaise, tummy pains, the odd bout of vomiting etc (which i see from other threads has been doing the rounds but I didn't want to hijack). Anway the fever went on and after 2 trips the Dr said his left lung was crackly and he was given a course of amoxycillin. Within a few days he had perked up and the fever was down. His appetite has been off the whole time though and he is ridiculously pale and skinny now which is worrying me.

He seemed to develop a snotty nose and cough again about 3 days ago which has got worse. We took him back to the dr this morning who said he just has the tail end of the virus ,but tonight his temp has gone back up again sad.

I'm not sure if he's just been really unlucky and has caught a different version of this bloody bug or if the original one has reoccured. Obviously I don't want him to be given more antib's if it is just viral but this has been so prolonged and seeing my poor boy not himself is awful. Am I worrying over pneumonia etc unnecessarily?

Baddz Fri 02-Jan-15 20:08:18

I think if he is off his food you are right to be concerned.
I have never known a winter so bad for resp infections sad
Both my dc have had them repeated times and are asthmatic so it does cause problems.
My eldest had suspected pneumonia back in October and is now on ABx for tonsilitis!
If his temp does not come down with meds over the weekend then I would get him an play at the ooh gp.
Hope he feels better soon x

iamthedanger Fri 02-Jan-15 20:15:09

Thanks Baddz. I'm aware I can be a little overly anxious when it comes to these things but I'd say we had maybe 3 or 4 days of ok eating (not great, but ok) at the end of the antibiotics course and then its back to watching him struggle with every mouthful and he didn't have any weight to lose in the first place. Plus he's exhausted from not sleeping because of the blasted cough.

Baddz Fri 02-Jan-15 20:18:46

I always know my 2 are ill if they go off their food!
Amoxycillin is the correct treatment for a chest infection but sometimes you need a stronger one like augmentin.

iamthedanger Fri 02-Jan-15 20:28:49

I saw my gp this morning but he said the chest was clear (which incidentally it was on our first visit a fortnight ago and then subsequently dxd with an infection.) The temp coming up again with the cough is what is making me think its something more.

Baddz Fri 02-Jan-15 20:34:23

Yeah...I had that too.
Chest is clear...chest is clear...oh dear he has a raging temp and pain in his chest...here have some ABx it might be pneumonia.
Sadly gps aren't very good at dx pneumonia ime sad

iamthedanger Fri 02-Jan-15 21:25:10

thats my thoughts sad and you aren't the first person to have said the same. Thanks.

Baddz Sat 03-Jan-15 13:55:31

How is he today? X

iamthedanger Sat 03-Jan-15 16:50:21

Thank you for asking. He seems a little perkier. He's managed a bit of food and his cough sounds 'wetter' if that makes sense? I'm not convinced all is totally well but I don't want to use an ooh appt or go to a&e unless necessary. His temp is slightly elevated for him but within normal realms. If I'm worried tmw I'll call 111. Thanks again. Hope your lo is on the mend.

306235388 Sat 03-Jan-15 19:25:41

Yes if there are signs he's really not well don't trust the 'chest is clear' nonsense, I learnt my lesson with that with Ds who ended up with pneumonia but doctors look at me incredulously if I mention it!

aristocat Mon 05-Jan-15 16:33:54

Hope your DS is feeling better. My DD was exactly the same.
Finally she is ok. It is such a worry when DCs are so ill and losing weight. Fingers crossed for a healthy 2015 smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now