Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

digestive problems

(5 Posts)
anzi246 Thu 01-Jan-15 19:28:45

My little six year old granddaughter is hardly eating anything and keeps having to go to the toilet to do poo. She has been having movicol for a few years now and a few weeks ago had a sore throat and funny tummy. The doctor is getting her poo tested but we are all so worried as she is getting thin . I suppose I just want some moral support from anyone else who has experience of this. I hope you don't mind a grandma writing in.

anzi246 Thu 01-Jan-15 19:29:58

My little six year old granddaughter is hardly eating anything and keeps having to go to the toilet to do poo. She has been having movicol for a few years now and a few weeks ago had a sore throat and funny tummy. The doctor is getting her poo tested but we are all so worried as she is getting thin . I suppose I just want some moral support from anyone else who has experience of this. I hope you don't mind a grandma writing in

Tealady1983 Thu 01-Jan-15 19:32:54

Hi my ds is very similar with eating although his is down to asd and food texture etc but I do understand how worrying it is. We use a ensure milkshake for the days he's really a bad its like a food replacement or build up drink full of vitamins and minerals but he just thinks it's normal shake. Maybe something like mgt help in the interim until proper assessment done x

anzi246 Thu 01-Jan-15 20:14:36

Thank you tealady - it feels better just 'talking' to others about it. My son-in-law just 'phoned to say she had eaten a tiny dinner which is a small triumph so I hope she does not suffer a tummy ache or have to go to the loo straight away.

anotherdayanothersquabble Thu 01-Jan-15 20:25:45

The GP should test her bowel movements over several days as there are parasites that only appear once every 72 hours. She should have her IgE and IgA levels checked as well as checking for colonizations of harmful and helpful bacteria. Sore throat could be steptococcus which also can exist in the gut. Being on any medication for a number of years without further investigation is not great so you should push for a gastric referral if she hasn't already had one. It is hard to get decent investigation of the underlying causes of gut issues in childnre and then to get effective treatment, keep pushing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now