Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Hospital or doctors? Tonight of tomorrow?

(14 Posts)
MurderOfMoG Tue 30-Dec-14 19:36:15

Bit of background.

DD is 11mo, she was born 10 weeks premature (6 weeks in SCBU)

On the 20th of December her lips, hands and feet went blue. Nothing odd was happening at the time, she was just having a cuddle, and was active and cheerful the whole time. She stayed blue for about 10 minutes, the paramedic arrived before the blue faded from her lips (though her hands and feet had improved).

Paramedic couldn't find anything wrong, checked her temp, listened to her heart etc. Decided to call an ambulance. While we were waiting for the ambulance to arrive DD's lips went blue again, and again she didn't seem at all bothered by it, and the paramedic could check that everything (aside from the colour) seemed fine.

Got to A&E, she was monitored for 2 hours. During that time she didn't go blue again and everything looked fine, so they discharged her.

On the 22nd her lips went blue again, but colour came back very quickly. Like other times, no other problems.

Then on the 28th it happened again, feet went blue that time. Took a little longer for colour to return, but not like on the 20th.

We took her to the gp on the 29th, they checked her over, couldn't find anything wrong and as she's still under the care of the paediatrician they decided to contact them to ask them to see her earlier (she's next due there in April).

Today she hasn't gone blue, but has vomited up absolutely everything she's eaten. She's also slept much more today than she normally does.

If you were me what would you do?

She seems cheerful - in fact she's babbling to herself and playing with her toys on her own, she's still getting wet nappies (though diarrhoea as well), her colour is good, her temp is normal.. etc.

Gut feeling is saying wait until tomorrow, but am I being too laid back?

Also has anyone else experienced this?

theendoftheendoftheend Tue 30-Dec-14 19:39:04

I'd definately ring 111 and take advice from them

BlinkAndMiss Tue 30-Dec-14 19:52:55

I'd ring 111, whenever DS has been poorly one of the first things they ask is whether he was born at term and without complications, that must be a factor in whatever action they want to take. Given that your DD was early and in SCBU I don't think they'd hesitate in wanting to see her.

Better to be on the safe side.

Paloma12 Tue 30-Dec-14 19:54:14

I'd go to A&E to be honest. It sounds like a tummy bug, but I would want more reassurance on the blue episodes.

helensburgh Tue 30-Dec-14 19:56:53

Honestly, nothing.

If her colour is fine and you are waiting on an earlier appt for that from Then leave it.

Sounds like a tummy bug, as long as nappiesmaremwet and she's alert, give diarolte and no dairy until,she settles.

Hope she's better soon

nousernamesleft Tue 30-Dec-14 20:01:09

Nothing. The tummy bug and the colour are two separate issues.
My ds goes blue, he's got a very minor heart condition that causes it. It's never caused any issues or problems, and is fairly common, noone even monitors it. (if you want a Google, it's wolff parkinson white syndrome). If she's been checked over and they've found nothing wrong, but will see her soon to look further into it I wouldn't worry too much.
The tummy bug, as long as she's alert, not dehydrated, and looks fine, just carry on as normal.

Gooseysgirl Tue 30-Dec-14 20:02:18

Call 111, they should be able to get you fast tracked at A&E hopefully... At our local A&E the younger babies get priority in the queue.

pudseypie Tue 30-Dec-14 20:16:23

I'd go to a&e. My ds had blue extremities when he had bacterial pneumonia which the gp missed when I took him 3 times in 2 days. I don't trust gp's

Snappynewyear Tue 30-Dec-14 20:48:52

I think there are two different things going on. A tummy bug and the odd blue episodes.

Just monitor her fluids in and out because if physical stress makes the blue episodes worse then a tummy bug will eventually stress her physically. If she gets very lethargic or looks unusually pale or the bluish tinge then I would go to A&E

MurderOfMoG Tue 30-Dec-14 21:16:11

Managed to get some fluids in her, which she's kept down luckily. So going to let her sleep and get an emergency gp appointment in morning.

helensburgh Tue 30-Dec-14 22:09:56

That sounds a plan.

Whe. You make the appy let the receptionist know she may have a vomiting bug, they will hopefully let you sit away from others in the waiting room.

EssexMummy123 Tue 30-Dec-14 22:19:15

I would phone 111 for advice - i've only known people with heart problems have lips that turn blue.

SnowLondon Thu 01-Jan-15 03:36:34

How is she?

m0therofdragons Thu 01-Jan-15 03:50:53

Odd question but have they scanned her heart and head? My friend's dd has a rare condition that saw her going blue and it turned out she has an extra vein in her brain. She's had major surgery and was air lifted to gosh twice but is doing fairly well.
It's very very rare but worth checking just to rule it out. I think it's called vein of galen. Probably not what it is so don't scare yourself but I'd push to see consultant sooner.
Re tummy bug - keep home and keep warm. Gp advised me to give prem dd flat coke when she was dehydrated from a tummy bug (but check with an expert first as that was a few years ago)xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now