Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Flu/virus in 2yo - worried

(18 Posts)
BlinkAndMiss Tue 30-Dec-14 18:38:33

My 2yo has had an upper respiratory infection since Xmas eve, becoming much worse by Boxing Day and making no improvement up to today. I've taken him to the GP, the walk in clinic who referred us to the children's ward at hospital and the GP again yesterday.. They have all said the same thing - viral infection which will improve on it's own accord and to alternate calpol and ibuprofen which I've been doing. He's no better after 5 days, temps are reaching 39/40c by the time his next medicine is due but they do reduce after the medicine usually. He's lethargic and poorly most of the time with occasional bursts of energy where he'll play but then he'll go back to crying.

I've given him his medicine as per timings tonight but almost 2 hours after calpol his temp is still 38.7 and he's miserable. I've spoken to the ward (they gave us an access number to use up until tomorrow am) and they just said to see if it goes down with the next dose of ibuprofen which he's due next.

How long do I let this go on for? He's awake in the night with high temps and I have the windows open constantly. This morning his his fingers and toes had a blue tinge to them as they're constantly freezing and his torso and head are burning so despite this being advice from the GP I'm not convinced it's right.

What do I do? Ride it out or go back to the ward and insist on something more? He's had maximum calpol and ibuprofen since Friday.

Sorry this is long, I'm really stressed out. hmm

JammyGeorge Tue 30-Dec-14 18:49:17

My friends DS has a virus, he's been absolutely floored for 5 days. I've seen nothing like it, no other symptoms just raging temperatures and can't get out of bed.

She's in the same position of alternating medicines and waiting. Now on day 6 and his temperature is starting to settle but he won't eat or drink.

I've heard from my cousin her DS is the same.

But these are older kids 5 & 6 year olds. If my 2 year old DS was like that I think I'd be much more concerned as they can't tell you what's going on.

I don't really know what to advise apart from to follow what they say and be back on if it doesn't lower with the next dose.

Is her breathing ok? When she is awake is she alert and 'with it?'

BlinkAndMiss Tue 30-Dec-14 18:58:07

Thank you for the reply - sounds like the same type of thing! His breathing is fine except it's quicker on a night when he has a temperature, the hospital said that was normal though hmm. He's alert and awake most of the day, he's playing now although half crying at the same time.

Just feel so helpless, the hospital seemed largely unconcerned unless his breathing becomes laboured or he stops being responsive.

I just can't see how taking this much medication is useful, I feel like it's hiding the real issue IYSWIM.

FoodieToo Tue 30-Dec-14 20:37:45

I'd be taking him to a and e perhaps for a chest x ray? It sounds a little like pneumonia.
I think it's unusual for a temp to be so virulent with a virus ,sounds more like some kind of bacterial infection.

One of mine had similar symptoms and went undiagnosed with pneumonia until it was so bad he needed hospital for nearly a fortnight and a chest drain!!

If you're worried or uncertain of if he doesn't pick up soon that's what I would so. The ongoing high temp would concern me.

Wishing you the best!

Snappynewyear Tue 30-Dec-14 20:44:11

By all means pop back to the childrens ward and they can listen to his chest and check his oxygen levels. If they feel it's necessary they can order an X-ray. 5 days is a long time to have fevers that are still high despite medication. There are lots a nasty viruses about at the moment.

JammyGeorge Tue 30-Dec-14 20:48:53

Would the hospital not have picked up pneumonia when you were there?

Did they do his oxygen sats? Would they not be low with pneumonia?

I don't know I'm no health professional but the constant high temps are a worry (his was over 40). The docs reply to my friend was not to worry it's everywhere there are loads of kids with it. Not much comfort when it is yours, especially so young.

If you are worried absolutely get it checked out though.

Allisgood1 Tue 30-Dec-14 20:55:40

My Dd had this hmm

My BIL is a peadiatrician in the states so I largely relied on him. He said that if she's breathing ok and not unresponsive then to keep alternating calpol and neurofen. They don't worry to much until day 8-10 of a high fever or with a high fever that doesn't come down with the combination of meds.

I also took her to the GP on day 5 of the fever (39) and they also agreed that it was viral and then said the above. The fever eventually broke on day 9, although it went from being an all day fever to lunch time onwards, to mid-afternoon onwards, etc.

Chaby Tue 30-Dec-14 21:07:06

my ds has had this, he is only 1. We have been to hospital twice with him when I have been really worried. He has been poorly for 3 weeks but seems to be on the mend now....

BlinkAndMiss Tue 30-Dec-14 21:24:07

Thank you for the replies, I feel less alone with this now smile. It's very confusing and isolating when your LO is poorly and there isn't anything you can do.

Foodie I initially thought they'd diagnose a chest infection and the nurse which checked him over at the walk in clinic said that she thought that's what it was. However, when they examined his chest it was clear and his hacking cough was from his throat rather than his chest, this was then confirmed by the hospital and then the GP yesterday. I must admit, I've been stressing about pneumonia which is why I'm ensuring I have contact with some sort of medical professional each day - I just hope it's enough, I don't care if they think I'm over the top (which they do already!). Jammie when the nurse checked his sats they were low! we had to go to hospital and were told they thought it was an infection but they didn't know the location. When the hospital examined him they said his sats were fine and that they were satisfied it was a virus.

I think it's this contradiction that makes me think there is more to this. Perhaps if they hadn't said that then I'd be more willing to think he had a virus.

Allisgood1 I did wonder what the cut off point was for a high temperature, I didn't think it could just go on and on and then continuing to tell me to alternate the Calpol and ibuprofen, it feels like it's never ending. I've managed to get him to bed tonight with a relatively 'normal' temp of 37 which is the lowest it's been really. We gave him a bath (usual temperature) and just kept him warm afterwards, we did the same last night and he slept for a few hours (8-1) without a fever. Then it came back with a vengeance at 40c. I'm hoping it doesn't do the same tonight but I'm assuming it will and keeping supplies nearby.

I'm going to keep up the Calpol and ibuprofen and then ring the ward around lunch time. Hopefully the fever will end soon.

Thanks for the help everyone.

BlinkAndMiss Tue 30-Dec-14 21:25:10

Oh Chaby I hope he's better soon, it's awful.

FoodieToo Tue 30-Dec-14 21:50:36

I had been to GP three times with ds when he had pneumonia.

Every time he used the stethescope, did the tap test. When we arrived at the hospital three different docs, including a senior consultant , did the same and all said the chest was ok.

They decided to x ray because it was the first stage of ruling things out.

Ds had a lung full of fluid. He developed an empyema, which is a pus filled cavity between the chest wall and the lung itself. They removed over a litre of fluid and pud during a chest drain under anaesthetic .

The docs could not believe it could not be heard from the exterior. They were all around him listening again to try it understand why they missed it.

Anyway, I hope your little boy is not as ill as my ds was but just to say it's not always obvious!!

FoodieToo Tue 30-Dec-14 21:52:58

Pus obviously!!

Micah Tue 30-Dec-14 22:01:32

Do the open windows mean the room is cold?

If his skin/surrounding temp is too cold it can shut down the blood vessels in the skin and on the surface layer of the body. This means that a) the body can't get rid of excess heat through the skin and b) blood is driven into the core so temperature actually increases.

This is why cold cloths and baths aren't recommended- should be lukewarm.

like others have said its just riding it out.

Another thing to remember is a high temp is there for a reason-to kill off bacteria and viruses. I prefer to let it run its course, and only give calpol or brufen if they're really miserable or at night so they sleep better. In fact I find a dose of piriton helps before bed as it helps them sleep through.

BarbarianMum Tue 30-Dec-14 22:22:08

Piriton is not a sleeping draught! It also dries up mucus, which is a very bad idea if you have a nasal or chest infection 'cause the mucus is the body's way of getting rid of the infective agent and drying it up risks making it worse.

LL0015 Tue 30-Dec-14 22:31:58

My whole family has been wiped out by this virus. It's horrid and the temp is so very persistent.
Most of us, children and grandparents shook it off after 5-6 days. Myself and BIL both got chest infections and now on antibiotics at day 11

I can't believe the temperature - never known anything so persistent. And my chest is apparently relatively clear, but boy am I coughing.

Good luck it's such a nasty bug.

BlinkAndMiss Thu 01-Jan-15 11:18:48

Foodie how terrible! Your poor DS, this is my biggest fear, that they miss something and he ends up in a worse state. I hope your DS is better now and that he isn't suffering any after effects of being so poorly. You must have been terrified.

My DS seems to be improving very slowly, he was brighter yesterday morning and then took a nosedive around lunch time. He picked back up towards tea time again though. I'm starting to think that is is a virus at this point but I'm guessing it will turn into a chest infection, he is coughing so much but it's largely unproductive so it will just be sitting there. I'm planning on making another drs app for the morning so they can check.

Yes Micah the room was cold. I've since realised than this only makes the body warmer because the surface of the body thinks it's cold and tries to warm up from the inside. I've made sure it's moderate now with no draughts and I only have him dressed in a nappy. Also, the part you said about the temperature's purpose being to kill off bugs has made me think a bit more about the medicine. So I've got a head scanner thermometer and I only use the medication when it turns red, rather than very frequently to stop the temp from rising. Hopefully that will serve to kill off the virus but to stop him getting into any trouble if his temp goes too high. Of course I don't to stick to this if he seems uncomfortable.

This is possibly the worst virus we've encountered, it's relentless and the temperature is scary. I don't think he's going to be well for a few weeks considering how wiped out he is. I hope you and your family are feeling better soon LL0015.

Thanks for your help everyone, I'll keep updating incase anyone else is searching for advice on the same thing.

FoodieToo Thu 01-Jan-15 14:15:31

Glad he's a bit brighter, it's horrible seeing them ill. And so worrying when you are not sure what is wrong .

Does he still have a high temperature ?

Thankfully my little man is perfect , took 6 months for the chest to clear properly and he missed 6 weeks of schools. Never had a chest infection prior or since.

I hope your little boy is well soon. Happy New Year !

BlinkAndMiss Fri 02-Jan-15 19:41:02

That's good news Foodie, at least there have been no lasting effects.

My DS is doing a lot better thank you, he woke up without a temperature yesterday so we gave the medication a rest, it did return later in the day but was easily controlled by medication. Still having disrupted nights but not as and as he has been. Today has been the same really, he is still very subdued compared to his usual, bouncy self but he's getting there. His cough is still violent so I'm keeping my eye on that, I do think it will turn into an infection as he seems to have trouble clearing his throat. But hopefully he's on the mend smile.

Happy new year to you too! Here's to a happy and healthy year for us all X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now