Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Any dentists about?

(2 Posts)
ShinyTwinkleStars Mon 29-Dec-14 19:20:07

DD1 is 4. When her teeth came through (about 12mths) I noticed the back top molar was discoloured and looked like 2 teeth fused together IYSWIM.

Anyway, taken to dentist regularly and the enamel on the tooth hasn't formed properly and she needs treatment as there is pitting (I think they said).

They are suggesting a crown or a filing. The crown seems the best option (to protect the whole tooth) but it is a horrible silver one. The dentist said they don't do the porcelain ones for children (so she thought).

Is this true? Would you go crown or filing? Anyone's DC had similar?

It's all a bit alien and tbh I am a bit blush at her having treatment at this age (although I have been assured her other teeth are all lovely and clean). I just need a bit of advice.

Willdoitinaminute Mon 29-Dec-14 21:43:34

Stainless steel crown is one option, so is a filling/restoration. It sounds like she has hyper plastic enamel in the tooth which because it has not formed very well tends to crumble away. The third option is to simply leave it but with a proviso that you clean the tooth thoroughly every day. A 3 monthly application of fluoride varnish is a good idea and if the tooth develops a cavity that retains food it will need filling.
In the dental world all three methods of management are acceptable. The aim is to keep the tooth in place until it is naturally lost to maintain the space.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now