Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Cannot get 5yr old to swallow colon transit test - advice needed please

(7 Posts)
IronWoman Sun 28-Dec-14 11:54:06

My sister has tried everything to get the contents of a large capsule down her 5 year old, for a colon transit test on New Year's Eve morning.

It was suggested she put them in yogurt, but that didn't work as she felt the shapes and tried to chew them. My sister spent over an hour trying to reason with her as to why she needs to swallow them, but she wasn't having any of it. She has another 2 morning's worth of these to take.

Does anyone have any ideas please? I suggested widening the hole in a children's medicine syringe, but not sure that will work either.

Thank you in advance for any ideas you can suggest.

addictedtosugar Sun 28-Dec-14 14:31:09

Best idea I can come up with is large amounts of chocolate, and "swallow these, and then gorge yourself on those"
ie no hiding, accept it might not be very plea sent, but there is a reward for it at the end.

DeWee Sun 28-Dec-14 16:41:46

Have you any smarties? I taught dd2 (a bit older though) to take tablets using smarties, and she managed the capsules after that.

Alternatively put them into a drink, stir vigorously and challenge her to swallow with a few gulps as possible.

IronWoman Sun 28-Dec-14 17:58:44

Thanks ladies, they're good ideas, although chocolate of any kind make her hyper. Yeah, maybe a quickly chugged fruit smoothie may work, she wouldn't necessarily feel them in it, thanks.
Round 2 tomorrow morning!!

addictedtosugar Sun 28-Dec-14 18:08:59

OK, switch chocolate for anything she thinks is a treat.
Good luck tomorrow.

Carelesstalkcostslives Sun 28-Dec-14 18:13:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IronWoman Mon 29-Dec-14 13:24:47

Thanks for your replies ladies, it has now been done by my niece herself!

My sister tried all the ways above but in the end, she chewed up her cereal and just before she was about to swallow, my sister popped one of the markers (this time very long straight ones) on top and she swallowed it immediately.

She had 10 markers so she could open number 10 on my son's advent calendars he didn't open this year. Result!!!

However, now she has taken over an hour to do a pooh and in pain cos she is not on her two medications to help. And the doctors have all said there is no problem at all, even though i have Ulcerative Colitis and had the exact same problems from the age of 3. Hmmmm, we'll see.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now