Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Celiac @ 7yrs?

(11 Posts)
Vixmar86 Mon 22-Dec-14 21:10:00

Please be nice im new here lol
My son is 7, he suffered with acid reflux as a baby but otherwise a health boy, the last 6months he seems to suffer with reflux again, stomach ache, craps, burning stomach and tiredness, his pooh seems normal altho I've never been to look. Doc keeps giving gaviscon but this week it's so bad he doesn't want to eat and has had stomach pains so bad it's restriced everything he's done, Doc now wants to test for celiac, I'm a student nurse but not hugely aware of this, I've googled it, yet at 7 is it unlikely? He can't have the test til next week but it's driving me made, I can't belive I didn't think of food as the issue!! Doc says not to restrict gluten until results are in but he's in agony!! He also hasn't lost any weight!
And advice welcome x

Vixmar86 Mon 22-Dec-14 21:10:40

That wasn't supposed to say craps ha ha ment cramps!!

Micah Mon 22-Dec-14 21:13:18

Yes it's possible age 7.

Let him have the test. The doc is right, don't restrict gluten beforehand or you might get a false negative if he's not reacting when they test.

Get the test results and go from there. Sounds like the doc is on top of things.

AcrossthePond55 Mon 22-Dec-14 21:38:47

Absolutely possible! Coeliac is genetic. Is there anyone in your or his father's families that is either Coeliac or is there a family history of GI problems, IBS, etc?

Don't restrict gluten. It can cause a false negative.

Vixmar86 Mon 22-Dec-14 22:19:06

Thank you, I assumed it was something they were born with I hadn't relised the seriousness of it and actually thought of it as a gluten intolerance when actually it's not!! I will have the test and whatever it is needs sorting, we have no family history of any food issue. X

Wolfbasher Mon 22-Dec-14 22:27:36

Coeliac can develop at any age

MsRainbow Tue 23-Dec-14 09:21:45

DS1 was diagnosed at 14yo, DS2 was diagnosed at 20months, so it can happen at any age. DS2 had classic symptoms, but DS1 didn't.
Keep gluten in his diet until doctors tell you to stop. Even if the coeliac test comes back negative keep pushing the doctors until you get answers.

MeMyselfAnd1 Tue 23-Dec-14 15:12:50

It is genetic.
If it comes positive, please do not be too disheartened, if he is coeliac he will belong to that little tiny minority of people who are fortunate enough to be diagnosed before much damage was done to the gut.

Keep him in his normal food for the time being.

mawbroon Tue 23-Dec-14 15:26:24

It may be coeliac or it could be something else.

DS1 had gastric problems which he was able to verbalise not long before he turned 6yo. Same as you describe, reflux, burning, cramps etc.

Gaviscon did nothing and Omeprazole wasn't much better. An endoscopy ruled out anything sinister and only showed irritation from the reflux.

He had his (up until then undiagnosed) tongue tie revised and the problems stopped overnight. Seems he was swallowing a lot of air whilst chewing which was coming back up and bringing stuff with it causing burning.

Vixmar86 Wed 24-Dec-14 00:22:30

Thank you for your replies, his bloods were finally taken today and Hopefully next week we will have results, either way whatever it is we will deal with its the not knowing why he's in pain that's the worst part x

Wolfbasher Mon 05-Jan-15 19:42:32

Good luck Vilmar, let us know the result when you get it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now