Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

My little 2 year old boy with severe constipation

(12 Posts)
Farzanabm Fri 19-Dec-14 22:04:47

Hi All
Im new to this. So any advice would be great...
I have a 2 year old who suffers from severe constipation. Its a battle i have been fighting since i have had him. On going appointments with my GP, and now we are under a paedritician

His on several drugs the docs put him on such as Movical (4 sachs) lactolose, senna, ducosate sodium, sodium picosulphate and some enigma. I dont know how my poor baby handles all. Its so painful to list all of these. He has atleast 1 build up per month where he wont poo for upto 4 days and suffers. This is what kills me he grunts and sweats and the pain is agony to watch. The enigmas dont do much. His scared to have a clear out. Im at my wits end. The docs say its a sluggish gut and his even been off dairy to see if it was that, but the problem continued. Im quite good with his water and food supply. He has plenty of vegs and fruits.

We even had a scan to see if there was anything but nothing out of the ordinary.

Im going bk to the gp to see if i can have another paedritician because he cannot suffer like this

Anyone been through this?

IMurderedStampyLongnose Fri 19-Dec-14 22:17:01

Hi,my 3yo suffered badly with constipation too,long periods of not going at all.For him it has fortunately been (mostly) resolved win the movicol.He has been on it now for around nine months and we are at the stage were he only needs one sachet every day or every other day.i take it your DS isn't impacted now?Am sure you are probably expert by now but you know to avoid bananas and weetabix etc?prune juice is good for keeping them moving.Unforunately I can't be of much help but I didn't want to leave your post unanswered,it's so hard to see them in pain like that.

TTTatty Fri 19-Dec-14 22:27:19

Has he been tested for Hirschsrungs? My son had recurring constipation and it was misery - this carried on till he was 10mths when finally he was tested for the above and he has it - it involves taking samples from the bowel which sounds awful but was okay. I had been told about this disease when he was a month old but local hosp said it is very rare so not likely to be that. Maybe worth mentioning?

Coffeemonster1 Fri 19-Dec-14 22:52:28

Hey following this as we are having exactly the same with out 2 year old DD sad
So far we have only had movicol and lactulose plus tried increasing water intake, fibre and cutting out dairy. Yet none of which made any difference. The amount of fruit and veg she eats, in any other toddler, would cause diarrhoea. She holds it in, goes bright red, sweats, screams and cries and the look of fear in her face is heartbreaking. We don't know what else to try but following your post smile

Hedgehogsbuzz1 Fri 19-Dec-14 22:56:56

I get constipated when I have any white wheat or also too much wholemeal wheat. Even cereal causes problems so don't have it

Is he having enough water?

Is he eating prunes/apricots

livegoldrings Fri 19-Dec-14 23:05:24

I think if he is that bad keep working on better help from the GP. Only tip I have is sitting in a warm fairly deep bath sometimes helps things get moving. When dd was really bad I used to say not to worry if you poo in the bath.

thedicewoman Fri 19-Dec-14 23:06:44

Have you had him allergy tested for gluten, dairy, soya, egg? These are apparently the usual things (we were advised by constipation clinic). Also recommended is a pro biotic apparently (dietician advice). But really I would say keep pushing for support, going through this too and feel totally unsupported by medical staff.so horrible to see them suffering.

AlexD72 Fri 19-Dec-14 23:32:22

I have used prune juice for a two year old with constipation and it always worked for him. Also mango and pear juices are good. I also kept a food diary to see if there was anything that slowed him down. I kept him off bananas and any wheat. It is distressing when they struggle to go and it is then a vicious circle as they don't want to go as it hurts.
Exercise in some cases can help and really helped in my little ones case. It's getting the right balance.

pudseypie Sat 20-Dec-14 22:37:31

How long has he had constipation for? If it was hirschsprungs he would have suffered since birth. My ds has it and although only formally diagnosed aged 2 after a rectal biopsy he'd been in and out of hospital for it since 2 days old. Your ds is on more meds than mine with hirschsprungs - sounds a lot. Mine has around 3 movicol a day, sodium pico as needed which is usually alternate days and then weekly bowel washouts at hospital. I would really push for another opinion

issybethy63 Tue 30-Dec-14 20:54:38

Hi I'm. Going through similar with my LG I'm at my wits ens were waiting for a ref feral to bladder and bowel accidents daily but no proper formed poo. Always a sticky mess she's on movicol we had several laxatives too I'm really worried and and although the health visitor is trying she isn't really helping as nothing is working we have never been offered a peadeatrician I'm throwing knickers away and getting very anxious to venture far from home it's embarrassing for me and her she knows where it's meant to go. And when talked about she promises to try but shows very little interest

Mummybashy3111 Tue 30-Dec-14 21:18:20

Hi my ds now 4 suffered with bad constipation until he was 3. He was on lactulose for a year and only come off it when we went on holiday and the only thing he would drink was pure orange juice which I used to water down for him. If he ever seems to be getting the "bloated" belly now I give him some pure orange or apple juice and baked beans and it works a treat. I think he just grew out of it but was so stressful at the time so I do sympathise with you. Unfortunately because he was so bunged up i felt we was constantly going back and forth iyswim as he seemed constipated one minute and the other way the next.

MERLYPUSSEDOFF Tue 30-Dec-14 21:36:34

I used to buy tinned pruned in juice and whizz them up for DT2. He would have them in yoghurt or porridge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now