Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Keeping my child off nursery to prevent a bug?

(10 Posts)
Shootingstar2289 Thu 18-Dec-14 14:04:11

Ok, so my son attends nursery 5 mornings a week at 2 different settings. I've read a few post from Mothers in the area of young children on facebook who's children are getting sickness bugs but the nurseries my child goes to seems to of escaped it.

However, there is one particular Mother who's son goes to the same nursery. And she had sent him despite being sick only yesterday and had to pick up early today.

Normally I wouldn't keep my son off nursery but it's so close to Christmas and worried that this child has been sick at nursery today (my sons not there today thank god!) meaning others might get it.

Would it be irresponsible to keep my child off despite being completely well.

Also, my son seems to be very unlucky when he gets ill. He had a bug 2 months ago and he had it for 4-5 days and was really poorly.

Advice?

Shootingstar2289 Thu 18-Dec-14 14:06:32

I also get very annoyed at the Mothers who send their children to school less than 48 hours after sickness. Obviously children can't ill very quickly and vomiting at school is sometimes inevitable. But it could be minimised by Mothers keeping their poorly children off for longer.

Xmasbaby11 Thu 18-Dec-14 14:07:07

I think you're overreacting. You can't do this every time a bug goes round! He's well. Send him in.

Shootingstar2289 Thu 18-Dec-14 14:07:16

Can get ill very quickly - not cant.

Strictlyison Thu 18-Dec-14 14:08:03

Keep it home, it's fine. I am dreading Christmas bugs! I am a child-minder and one year our entire Christmas was spoiled because one family sent in their baby daughter who 'had been sick once the night before, but ate her breakfast and is now ok'... then she was sick here, then I was sick on the 23rd December (my DH's birthday), dh sick on Christmas day, and both my children were sick between Christmas and new year. Keep him home!

Xmasbaby11 Thu 18-Dec-14 14:09:18

I do agree about parents sending kids back too soon. I often keep dd off because of their rules. It is a total pain because I have to take time off work, but I do it. Perhaps others do it because their work isn't supportive when kids are ill?

Seeline Thu 18-Dec-14 14:10:18

God I hate sickness bugs - and inconsiderate parents who bundle their obviously unwell kids off to nursery/school to pass it on.
I have been known to keep a DC at home before Christmas for this very reason. It's only nursery - he's not about to take his GCSEs! Keep him home and have some fun together.

coldwater1 Thu 18-Dec-14 14:10:36

I would keep him home. Not worth having a ruined christmas. My 9 have just had a horrendous sick bug and i hope they are better for christmas.

Iwillorderthefood Thu 18-Dec-14 14:13:52

Of course at this time of year I think I would keep them him off, although normally you would be unreasonable. It's not as though he has important exams or anything he's little and Christmas is important.

Of course you cannot guarantee that you will avoid it by doing this, since if it's going around, it will be in your local shop, where a carer had to take their child who was suffering, as there is nobody to look after them at home. Jowever I too would try to prevent it.

Shootingstar2289 Thu 18-Dec-14 14:19:54

I definitely wouldn't do it normally. Last time he had a bug it seemed like half the children in the area had it and he was poorly for nearly a week. He also gets a bad chest but ATM he's avoided picking anything up for a month or more (long time for my son). And yes. It's not like he's in school yet... I just feel guilty he's missing out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now