Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Daughter smells fishy

(9 Posts)
Workitbabe Wed 17-Dec-14 11:18:16

Hoping someone can shed some light.
DD is 7. She has had some problems with constipation, and I have noticed recently that in the morning she has wet herself a bit and she smells really fishy (as does her bedding sad)

I give her movicol when required for the constipation. I just wonder if the two are linked?

Her overall health is great and she is such a happy and upbeat little girl.

Any ideas??

MissLurkalot Wed 17-Dec-14 11:28:41

It's a process of elimination.

Does she drink enough fluids? That could be why her wee is so strong smelling.

Does she have a sticky discharge in her front bottom? Could be candida/thrush.

Is she itching? Again, could be thrush or maybe worms in her bottom? Does she complain of itching? Does she bite her nails or suck her thumb or fingers? They can pick up worms easier. Does she wash her hands after going to the toilet? Worms can sometimes be linked with bed wetting and grumpy behaviour.

marmaladegranny Wed 17-Dec-14 11:32:35

Fishy smelling wee can indicate UTI - might be worth taking her or sample into GPs

isitsnowingyet Wed 17-Dec-14 11:33:51

She might have a urinary infection. Get her to drink plenty of water

Workitbabe Wed 17-Dec-14 11:48:59

Thanks all. No itching, no pain, no discharge. She is v good at washing her hands - better than her 11 yr old sister.

Will book appointment I think then. She does drink a lot of water (she only drinks water - her choice).

Thanks

LeonardWentToTheOffice Wed 17-Dec-14 12:34:28

Daft question but does she eat a lot of fish - I smell really fishy especially my wee for a couple of days after I've eaten fish - I saw a program about it once on TV - I think it only affects me mildly - it's something to do with the body not able to break something down - there were people on the prog that had to wash constantly as it was so strong, and a little boy who loved fish but was only to have it on Friday - his big treat because of no school the next day - will look for a link for you...

Bonsoir Wed 17-Dec-14 12:36:05

Sounds like cystitis.

LeonardWentToTheOffice Wed 17-Dec-14 12:40:35

This is it

Undertheboredwalk Wed 17-Dec-14 12:44:13

I'd suspect UTI too, DD1 smells very fishy when she gets one, smell lingers on her clothes etc even if she hasn't had an accident. Quick urine test at the GP will rule it out anyway smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now