Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Very bad cut to DS's leg, what's the best thing to do ?

(35 Posts)
ElaineFromLondon Sun 14-Dec-14 16:54:26

My 12 year old DS has very badly cut his leg, it happened earlier today when he was coming back into the house along with some of his friends, they jumped over the garden wall to get into the front garden and as my DS did it he caught his leg on a sharp piece of the wall, this has resulted in a deep cut which goes from the top of his thigh to halfway up his left buttock. It has been bleeding an awful lot and it is very painful. Should I take him to the hospital, try and get a doctor to him ? What should I do ?

AgentProvocateur Sun 14-Dec-14 16:56:03

Take him to a minor injuries unit. It might need stitches.

MyBigFuckOffWindow Sun 14-Dec-14 16:56:35

If it won't stop bleeding or stay closed take him to A&E of course.

MyBigFuckOffWindow Sun 14-Dec-14 16:57:06

Assuming your minor injuries place is closed at the weekend like ours is.

BingBongSongEveryDamnDay Sun 14-Dec-14 16:57:29

I'd take him to A&E if it's that bad. At least they will ensure it's clean. It may need stitching? And you will both be reassured.

PacificDogwood Sun 14-Dec-14 16:58:17


ElaineFromLondon Sun 14-Dec-14 16:58:38

The bleeding has stopped now but I think it might be in need of stitches, i'm still trying to get a proper look at it now it's stopped bleeding.

JuniperTisane Sun 14-Dec-14 16:58:40

Definitely take him to the nearest A&E or Minor Injuries unit. It might get infected if it isn't stitched up properly.

GlitzAndGigglesx Sun 14-Dec-14 17:03:54

I got a deep wound on my hand last week but couldn't get to A&E so had to wrap it and left it wrapped for 2 days. There's not any real sign of healing I should've somehow got it stitched so it doesn't get infected. Your sons sounds a lot worse than mine so defo take him to urgent care centre/A&E

ElaineFromLondon Sun 14-Dec-14 17:03:55

I'm thinking of taking him to the minor injuries unit but i dont know how i'm going to get him there :/

AgentProvocateur Sun 14-Dec-14 17:19:19

If you can't get there by public transport, or a lift from a friend, you'll need to get a taxi. Your son has a deep cut that may need stitched, so it's your responsibility to get him there somehow. hmm

Finola1step Sun 14-Dec-14 17:23:27

If the cut is from leg to up the buttocks, is he actually able to sit? He may need lie to on his right side. Have you got an OOH numbers via your GP you can call?

SunnaClausIsComingToTown Sun 14-Dec-14 17:25:51

Taxi to A & E, I'd say.

Umbrelladilemma Sun 14-Dec-14 17:26:35

I would go straight to A&E. I took DS to our minor injuries unit with a deep cut recently and they just sent me on to A&E as they said they couldn't even dress wounds, let alone do stitches hmm

Tsoukalosy Sun 14-Dec-14 17:33:22

What is the point of minor injury units can anyone clarify? A & E take him, its called Accident and Emergency for a reason, otherwise it would be called 'Center for people who are literally about to drop dead'. This is a legitimate case for A & E. I hope he's ok, sounds very painful .

DesperatelySeekingSanity Sun 14-Dec-14 17:46:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GlitzAndGigglesx Sun 14-Dec-14 17:49:22

Tsoukalosy my nearest one is linked to the A&E dept so it's all dealt with in the same waiting room and same staff. I went last year with really bad stomach pains got a taxi there and received a letter in the post being told off for going to A&E but it's all in the same flipping place!!.

To the op I read that if a wound is bleeding for longer than 5 minutes you should go straight to hospital

CMOTDibbler Sun 14-Dec-14 17:50:18

Tsoukalosy - our local minor injury units are fabulous. Much closer, and the waiting times are very short. I went once after a fall, and within an hour I'd had 5 xrays, my wounds dressed, and a referral for the next day to see a specialist in case I'd aggravated an exisiting issue.

18yearstooold Sun 14-Dec-14 17:52:41

Our minor injuries won't treat anything on the torso

A&E sounds like your best bet

mausmaus Sun 14-Dec-14 17:55:38

our minor injuries doesn't do stitches.
would take him to a&e

Tsoukalosy Sun 14-Dec-14 17:55:57

Oh I see! Thanks everyone for clarifying smile OP have you taken him yet? is he ok?

ElaineFromLondon Sun 14-Dec-14 18:05:32

I've taken him to the minor injuries unit (which is part of a larger hospital) he is being kept overnight and will have some stitches put in. He still seems upset but seems reasonably ok

DesperatelySeekingSanity Sun 14-Dec-14 19:28:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kelda Sun 14-Dec-14 19:30:42

Why is he being kept in overnight?

LuckyLopez Sun 14-Dec-14 19:38:18

I apologise this is going to sound rude but I don't know how else to say this..

Your child has a deep cut, you think it needs stitches, it's been bleeding a lot and he's in a lot of pain. Why the hell didn't you take him sooner? I genuinely struggle when people ask such basic questions to understand why your common sense and instinct to get him treated hasn't kicked in.

Flame me if you like, I don't care. Poor child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now