Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

What is this rash?

(13 Posts)
RoseberryTopping Sat 13-Dec-14 18:14:58

DS is running a fever, I think he has a virus. He's come out in this rash today, any ideas what it is?

Carryonconception Sat 13-Dec-14 18:17:01

Does it blanch under a glass?

RoseberryTopping Sat 13-Dec-14 18:20:45

No, it just stays looking the same.

mamababa Sat 13-Dec-14 18:26:56

Is it small ish spots, like a heat rash type thing or larger 'blotches' like hives/nettle rash? If the latter then it's urticaria, common in children with viral infection and it keeps disappearing and re-appearing in various places.

If the former as a PP said, does it go white when pressed with a glass? If not then call a doctor/NHS direct etc. is he unwell, complains of headache, aversion to light etc?

RoseberryTopping Sat 13-Dec-14 18:45:00

It's all over his back and chest, blotches on his cheek. It doesn't feel very rough, doesn't dissapear under a glass. It's only a slight rash, not instantly noticeable.
He's poorly from whatever virus he has, tired, hot and has a cough. He's not moaned about the light though.

IAmAPaleontologist Sat 13-Dec-14 18:50:13

on app so can't see bit from description especially cheek have you considered scarlet fever?

Showy Sat 13-Dec-14 18:50:22

Could be generic viral rash, with blotchy cheeks could be slapped cheek, but this is all guess work and with a non blanching rash, you probably should see somebody.

Showy Sat 13-Dec-14 18:54:44

I did wonder about scarlet fever but when dd had it, it was raised. Like sandpaper.

MeowImaCatfish Sat 13-Dec-14 18:56:06

I'd take him to your local out of hrs emergency surgery... Better safe than sorry, especially if he's already unwell x

IAmAPaleontologist Sat 13-Dec-14 19:01:21

True. Though ds1 has been doing a fine job of not showing typical symptoms so my perpective is a little skewed grin .

Agree on the main though, you need to hey it checked out. rashes need seeing.

RoseberryTopping Sat 13-Dec-14 19:11:01

It does look mostly like heat rash but he's not been itching. His cheeks don't look slapped either, it's more of all of his face that is red.

I've just tried a glass over it again snd it does go a bit. I need to find a wine glass or something really cos this glass is a bit thick to tell.

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Sat 13-Dec-14 23:38:08

Will he let you look in his mouth? Is his tongue red/strawberry like?

Carryonconception Sat 13-Dec-14 23:43:18

sorry just saw answer. If it does;t blanche then you should go to a&e asap. Do not leave until morning. Better safe than sorry and they take any rash that does not blanche exceedingly seriously.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now