Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Newborn medicine essentials

(5 Posts)
EstRusMum Fri 12-Dec-14 12:05:58

Hi all.

I am 36 weeks pregnant and have bought everything for my newborn except medicines. I am aware that most of them cannot be given before 12 weeks anyway, but was wondering what sorts of stuff do I need in case if my DD will get ill or some pains? Last time I had baby almost 10 years ago, so can only remember some drops with vitamin D.
Definitely need to know more. So pretty much list of essential medications up to 1 year old?
I googled a bit and know about Calpol and Nurofen. Possibly some kind of colics medication as well. Is there anything else I will have to buy over the counter?
Also, I'm planning to breastfeed and maybe need to get something for myself as well for milk to be healthy for her? Vitamines? Some kind of herbal teas?

Any advice highly appreciated.
Thank you. smile

NotCitrus Fri 12-Dec-14 12:24:17

Ask you local chemist if there is a minor ailments scheme - you may be able to get free baby paracetamol.
Get a snot sucker - simple bulb with nozzle. A teether toy that can go in the freezer. Baby-friendly cough syrup. That's about it. Nutritious easy meals for you.

EstRusMum Fri 12-Dec-14 17:24:29

Really so easy? Wow.
Thank you. smile

justabigdisco Fri 12-Dec-14 17:29:48

Paracetamol
Snot sucker
Saline drops/spray
Teether

Don't bother with cough syrup though, it's just sugary water and does naff all grin

joanna120387 Tue 16-Dec-14 02:14:01

I second justabigdisco's list. Paracetamol syrup, aspirator (Nobu baby - the best one you can find, trust me), saline drops and a cough syrup. Everything else you can get if needed. I'd stay away from vitamins or herbal supplements while breastfeeding - they're just not researched enough. Balanced nutrition is enough to give you and your little one the best possible start.

Good luck! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now