Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Toddler jumped on baby's back twice

(32 Posts)
MoreSnowPlease Thu 11-Dec-14 16:25:25

If this happened to your baby but they didn't cry would you assume they were ok?

Ds1 jumped on ds2 (4.5mo) while he was on his front on the floor. Yesterday and today. He didn't cry but is unusually fractious and hard to get to nap and not feeding well either. BUT is distractable so I am assuming not in constant pain. The crying is on on and off all day but not high pitched. .. More like a tired cry.... Because he won't nap.

minipie Thu 11-Dec-14 16:32:08

When you say jumped on him what do you mean? Feet first or body across? Did the full weight of DS1 land on DS2?

I would get him checked out tbh, what harm can it do to get him checked.

Nocturne123 Thu 11-Dec-14 16:53:53

Same as minipie nothing to lose in getting him checked out and you'll gain peace of mind

MoreSnowPlease Thu 11-Dec-14 16:59:02

Feet on, both feet but one slipping off quickly so weight didn't stay on for long.

Took him to the gps today because I was worried he had some kind of infection as just not himself . He doesn't. ... didn't say about the jumping as I forgot as wasn't really worried about it given that he didn't cry, not sure why though, ds1 is at least 15kg.

minipie Thu 11-Dec-14 17:04:35

Hmm does your GP have a phone call service (mine does) so you could ask to speak to a dr by phone rather than go in again... That's what I'd do, I'd explain on the phone what happened and that GP has checked him for infection but didn't specifically check for effects of the jumping.

The GP on the phone should be able to tell you whether it's worth coming in again or whether any checks that might be relevant will already have been done today.

I wouldn't go by whether DS2 cried or not really. I would guess that anything big would have been picked up by GP today, but I'm not really sure so would suggest you ask GP...

carlywurly Thu 11-Dec-14 17:05:13

How old is ds1? I'd be bothered that he's done it more than once -

I remember my ds1 doing something similar to ds 2 when he was a baby. I had to be really tough with him as although he was too young to really understand the damage he could do, he needed to know this was something he absolutely could not do again.

Like others say, worth checking out for peace of mind.

divingoffthebalcony Thu 11-Dec-14 17:06:12

Potentially, being jumped on could cause serious internal injuries, especially in such a young baby. That's the worse case scenario obviously, and it depends how hard your toddler landed on him. 15kg IS heavy though (I know, because my 3 year old is the same weight).

You should have mentioned it to the doctor. And don't leave the baby on the floor unattended, because your toddler obviously likes jumping on him.

fatterface Thu 11-Dec-14 17:07:05

How have you let him do it twice?

I would get the baby seen.

3littlefrogs Thu 11-Dec-14 17:09:34

Get your baby checked straight away.
He could have internal injuries.
Sort out a way of keeping your baby safe from your toddler.

minipie Thu 11-Dec-14 17:12:48

Oy, can we stop with the judgment here?

I'm sure OP knows it's bad that her DS1 jumped on her DS2 and will make sure it doesn't happen again. Just because she doesn't have lots of hand wringing in her OP and simply asked for the medical advice doesn't mean everyone should assume she's not that bothered.

MoreSnowPlease Thu 11-Dec-14 17:51:35

Yes thanks everyone for telling me that I shouldn't let him jump on him and to tell him off. ...I wasn't standing on the sidelines cheering him on FWIW hmm good to know you all have exceptionally behaved toddlers. I'm obviously failing at that. .. maybe something to do with the severe hypothyroidism I have recently been diagnosed with which means I feel like I am on speed and like fainting when I pick boys up.

Thanks minipie I will probably phone 111 but pretty certain they will tell me to see someone. Gp fe K t his tummy today and he was laughing at her and doesn't cry in pain when I touch him anywhere so think he's ok.

MoreSnowPlease Thu 11-Dec-14 17:52:13

Emoticon fail

TooMuchCantBreathe Thu 11-Dec-14 18:04:20

Wtaf? My toddlers were terribly behaved at various times but I've never had one jump on a baby Is this a reverse? confused

Either way, a toddler jumping weighs enough to cause internal damage to a 4.5mo baby. Get it checked out (most likely to advise minor injuries not gp btw)

DixieNormas Thu 11-Dec-14 18:09:07

Ds3 would have jumped on ds4 if he had the chance im sure, I had a play pen though so he couldnt get to him. He did enjoy pushing him over when he started to walk though and im sure there was probably other things.

I think id ring somewhere to check, although they will probably tell you to go to a&e (as usual)

MoreSnowPlease Thu 11-Dec-14 18:15:06

toomuch it's not even am aibu never mind a reverse....I am not a terrible parent, you're lucky your toddlers are so well behaved, it was an accident. .. They happen. Anyway I've called docs Thanks for all the advice shitty comments about my parenting

Nocturne123 Thu 11-Dec-14 18:29:33

You're not a terrible parent at all ! Dd is 19mo and has hit/slapped and in one occasion scratched ds in the eye . I'm sure she'd dive bomb on top of him given half a chance

Please don't take these comments to heart , hope your little ds is ok

fatterface Thu 11-Dec-14 18:35:32

It's not about being well behaved though, you just have to supervise/separate a toddler and a baby. You can't leave even the most angelic toddler unsupervised near a baby lying on the floor.

Inthedarkaboutfashion Thu 11-Dec-14 18:41:13

You need to get baby checked ASAP. Why didn't you mention when you were at the GP?
After you have had baby checked buy a play pen.

ellenjames Thu 11-Dec-14 18:50:26

Sorry but twice is too many times even though accidents happen! You can't leave a toddler with a baby! Hope dc2 is ok.

mupperoon Thu 11-Dec-14 18:51:52

I cannot believe how sanctimonious some of the posters on this thread are. No wonder MN has such a terrible rep. This is meant to be a support topic, not AIBU.

MoreSnow I hope your little one is ok, I'm sure he is. Sounds like you have a lot on your plate with your own condition to deal with too.

IsawJimmykissingSantaClaus Thu 11-Dec-14 18:54:37

Way harsh on the OP. Things happen regardless of your perfect parenting. I'm sure we all have tales to tell of DC falling off beds/playing by plug sockets etc. MoreSnowPlease your DS2 is probably fine but getting him checked over will put YOUR mind at rest. My DD1 has carried DD2 around by her neck/rugby tackled her/knocked her down. It all happens in the blink of an eye. I can't keep the separated, it's totally impractical. FWIW DD2 is 21 months now and pretty robust. Don't beat yourself up. I'm sure these 'helpful' posters are the type to say "where did you last have it?' when you've lost something and other bon mots.

gamerchick Thu 11-Dec-14 18:55:01

I'm not going to give you a hard time but you really really must get your baby looked at by a doctor. Why on earth didn't you mention it to your gp ? Don't get defensive with people on here. The likelihood is your baby is fine as they are very bendy but please get somebody to check it out. It's too important.

confusedandemployed Thu 11-Dec-14 18:57:54

I cannot believe how sanctimonious some of the posters on this thread are

I can.

Hope your baby is OK OP flowers

TooMuchCantBreathe Thu 11-Dec-14 20:44:10

My toddlers weren't well behaved, they were toddlers! But this wasn't just a one off, oh gosh where did that come from occurrence, it happened twice in two days. Tbh though that isn't what I find particularly shocking, it's that you wouldn't think it important to get checked - especially as you were at the gp in any case.

Not in the least bit sanctimonious, just shocked.

ellenjames Thu 11-Dec-14 22:34:47

Am sorry but it happening twice, and bringing that fact up isn't being sanctimonious! Yes we all make mistakes etc but you learn from them so they don't happen again! It's also worrying that the baby hasn't seen a gp just for a check up

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now