Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How to help constipation in 10 year old ds

(9 Posts)
saltedcaramelicious Thu 11-Dec-14 12:09:09

I don't think my ds is going for a poo every day, as twice now over the last couple of weeks he has done a poo so big it's got stuck in my mums toilet, and last night our toilet.
What can he eat/take to help him definitely go daily?

ilovepowerhoop Thu 11-Dec-14 14:21:03

my ds doesn't go every day but he has always been like that since he was a baby so it must be his natural rhythm. I don't regard him as being constipated just because he doesn't poo every day.

MuddhaOfSuburbia Thu 11-Dec-14 14:24:44

water works (for middle aged women at any rate)

tho I don't rate your chances of getting a ten year old boy to drink any

calamitySloeGin Thu 11-Dec-14 14:29:20

Prunes

AngelCauliflower Fri 12-Dec-14 17:09:47

I have noticed my ds has difficultly when he eats white pasta and possibly white bread. He is fine when eating brown bread and brown pasta.

gordonpym Fri 12-Dec-14 20:20:00

We saw a gastroenterologist for DS2, who had suddenly started to soil himself. DS2 did a poo every day, sometimes, twice per day, so when asked the question if he was constipated I said no, and the doctor told me constipation has nothing to do with frequency, it's about emptying your bowel completely . So DS2 was in fact constipated, and his brother who has a poo every other day isn't.

DS2 was put on medication, but I also added kiwis to his diet and lots of water. Decrease dairy.

What does your DS eat?

berceuse Fri 12-Dec-14 20:23:27

DD has been on movicol for four years .. but we have been able to stop it recently because I have been buying locally pressed apple juice from an orchard a couple of miles away.

Now, I always knew this would work but I struggled to get her to drink it. Her new found love of it makes things very easy.

Purplecircle Fri 12-Dec-14 20:27:07

Grapes or dried fruit work for me

berceuse Sat 13-Dec-14 09:39:24

OP, worth bearing in mind that different things work for different people. DD has an epi pen for dairy so has never had that and usually eats 4 or 5 pieces of fruit a day, has dried apricots has a snack, plenty of veg too.

Her consultant tested for celiac because her tummy was so blocked - negative thankfully.

I think you will just have to try a few different things, I would try a decent breakfast cereal and a bit more fruit to begin with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now