Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Orthoptics appointment to check eyesight in 2 year old - what happens?

(6 Posts)
bronya Mon 08-Dec-14 09:39:48

And will it be possible to do this with a young baby in tow? 2 year old DS is lovely, but he is two, and is prone to tantrums (especially if he's bored). Am wondering if I should try to find a friend to come with me...

TallGiraffes Wed 10-Dec-14 18:53:03

My 2.3 yr old had his latest orthoptic clinic check last week. He had to identify pictures (black and white line drawings) of things like ducks, houses, welly boots etc from the far side of the room. They got progressively smaller and thinner lined. First off with both eyes, then he got to wear a pirate patch grin to test each eye separately. There's a funny magic eye type puzzle that tests 3d vision and then quite a bit of "look at this while I look in your eye" stuff.

He's had them since he was 3 months and tbh, sometimes he aces them and sometimes they are a nightmare and I've had to pin his head straight. So depends on the mood.

I'd get someone to watch your other child though, you'll need to be on full praise / encouragement mode and not be distracted. Good luck.

helensburgh Wed 10-Dec-14 21:57:56

Yes, I'm coming from the other side, I'm an Orthoptist.

Don't worry, if eh doesn't cooperate we are used to it.

It will be fun hopefully.

If you can try and get someone to take the baby, but if not its fine.

Hope it goes ok

neversleepagain Thu 11-Dec-14 00:05:57

One of my twins 2.2 had an eye test a few weeks ago. She refused to co operate and covered both her eyes with her hands. Her twin sister ran around the room causing chaos. It was not a good day.

Good luck!

bronya Thu 11-Dec-14 12:51:04

That's how I rather imagined it might go neversleepagain. Going to try to book a friend for baby watching/help I think!!!

AdventuringAbout Thu 11-Dec-14 19:26:56

Definitely book a friend to help - our local eye hospital takes 2-3 hours to do 8 minutes worth of tests. Funnily enough, neither me nor my 3 year old enjoy this every six months. The tests (as described above) are very straightforward though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now