Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

MMR - when do side effects start?

(8 Posts)
GodReastieMerryGentlemen Sun 07-Dec-14 18:09:54

I'm trying to book DD into have her MMR booster. She had nasty side effects from her initial jab so expecting not great things from this one. I'd like her to get it done in the next couple of weeks so when DH is home with me over the holidays he can help me should DD have any ill effects BUT I don't want DD ill in any way for Christmas itself (or risk any potential side effects starting on Christmas/boxing day).

Have been googling when side effects start and how long they last but from what I can see they can last any thing up to 6 weeks but not sure when they might start from.

Can anyone help with this one thanks

ilovepowerhoop Sun 07-Dec-14 19:29:56

i think its normally from 7-10 days afterwards, if they are going to get any symptoms at all. My 2 coped much better with the booster than the original jab

ilovepowerhoop Sun 07-Dec-14 19:33:33

www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/pages/mmr-side-effects.aspx

GodReastieMerryGentlemen Sun 07-Dec-14 19:38:45

hmm so I'd have to get her jabbed on 22nd December probably then.... I think I may end out just worrying about her getting side effects over Christmas and get it done first thing in new year and cross my fingers she's OK.

LizzieMint Sun 07-Dec-14 19:43:34

All mine got ill a week after the jab, for roundabout a week.

HippyPottyMouth Sun 07-Dec-14 20:27:44

DD was miserable and under the weather 24 hours later. That lasted a few days, then after about 10 days she had a rash on her torso, which didn't bother her at all, and a bit of diarrhoea. She wasn't right for nearly 3 weeks.

306235388 Sun 07-Dec-14 23:59:57

If she was ill after the firsts one I think that shows she reacted and therefore developed immunity so you may be lucky this time.

GodReastieMerryGentlemen Mon 08-Dec-14 07:34:09

OK, sounds like it could be from a day after to several weeks. Definitely not risking poorly DD for Christmas...

30623 here's hoping that's the case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now