Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

3 month old coughing

(18 Posts)
Allisgood1 Sat 06-Dec-14 08:08:11

Not sure what to do. DS is 14 weeks. Towards beginning of this week he started getting a cold. It's progressively gotten worse. Yesterday he started gasping for air, then vomited, then gasping again. I put him on boob and he calmed straight down and went to sleep. We then had two episodes of coughing so hard he was sick. confused
I've got the humidifier on, olbas oil in humidifier, keeping him upright on me. Last night he did not sleep well with coughing and congested nose. The cough isn't barking but it worries me that he's coughing until he's sick. What should I be doing?

LIZS Sat 06-Dec-14 20:47:40

Ring NHS or go to A and E if you haven't already . If he is wheezing and struggling to feed and keep it down he needs attention. dd had bronchiolitis at about the same age and was really unwell, needed oxygen and close monitoring.

Allisgood1 Sat 06-Dec-14 23:14:09

He was fine all day (only sick once), but now is very warm (I only have an ear thermometer and its saying 100F) Not settling well either. Call 111?

Allisgood1 Sat 06-Dec-14 23:14:32

He isn't wheezing, just coughing.

Allisgood1 Sat 06-Dec-14 23:15:13

Also he had calpol at 9 and still has a temp

FelixTitling Sat 06-Dec-14 23:19:00

Sounds like he just has a cold but I would ring 111 for reassurance.

look here

306235388 Sat 06-Dec-14 23:20:14

Ok that's not too high a temp but given he's had calpol already I'd second calling for advice. If he's been gasping for air and vomiting he needs seen.

Allisgood1 Sun 07-Dec-14 00:05:14

Not gasping for air, that happened once. Hesitant to call this late knowing it's very likely to be just a cold. If his breathing was strange I definitely would but it isn't. Just the cough and vomit (he just did a huge sick all over the bed) that's worrying me.

FelixTitling Sun 07-Dec-14 00:11:11

Don't worry about the time, just ring.

Better to be safe than sorry, and you're just going to sit up all night worrying anyway.

Elllimam Sun 07-Dec-14 00:28:58

Ring, not to worry you but colds in little ones can be bad. I am currently sat in hospital with my little guy who just started off with a cold too.

Allisgood1 Sun 07-Dec-14 08:53:16

He settled and slept until 4, fed and is still sleeping. Feels quite warm but will see how he is when he wakes.

Singleandproud Sun 07-Dec-14 09:02:43

My Dd had a similar thing at that age and was given a ventolin inhaler to calm the cough so she can breath. She gets like it everytime she has a cold so worth going to the GP and seeing if they'll give you one. Once she's vomited her cough normally calms for a bit.
For what it's worth she's now 5 and been given a brown preventer inhaler, they think she may have cough aggravent asthma brought on by cold weather and colds.

Allisgood1 Sun 07-Dec-14 10:33:14

The cough does calm after he vomits. I think I'll call 111 and see what they say.

Elllimam Mon 08-Dec-14 09:26:54

How is he now?

HopeNope Mon 08-Dec-14 09:29:45

Yes definitely call 111. At least it'll give you reassurance, if not anything else.

It's going round at the moment. Almost all the babies I know have for a cold/cough.

Allisgood1 Mon 08-Dec-14 11:48:44

Bronchiolitis hmm

He's not a happy baba but a lot better today than yesterday. Ended up in a&e. hmm

Footlight Mon 08-Dec-14 11:59:00

Ah, glad he is ok. Bronchiolitis can be nasty so it's good you got it checked out and treatment started quickly.

I had 8 years of middle of the night emergency trips to A&e for various chest related illnesses with ds so I know what that's like. Hopefully this is a one off for your little one and he shakes it off soon.

Allisgood1 Mon 08-Dec-14 12:45:49

Poor you footlight hmm once is stressful enough!

They didn't give him any treatment though. Nothing they can do apparently as its viral hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now