Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Anyone have a teen on citalopram?

(12 Posts)
madmomma Fri 05-Dec-14 10:11:20

Just that really.
Dd is nearly 17 and has struggled for years with clinical anxiety.
GP is very good and she's having CBT as he really wants to get on top of it (her heart rate is double what it should be, so obviously that's not desirable long-term)
10mg of citalopram would be the next step, but he's reluctant to prescribe it til she's older, which I can understand.
I was just wondering if any of other mners teens have taken citalopram?

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Fri 05-Dec-14 12:12:51

My son took Fluoxetine at 17, although not citalopram I think they are both SSRI's . He took them for a year following a parcetomol overdose ( was depressed ). He received CBT at the same time and although he still gets low mood in winter he has been well and has not had to go back on them.

madmomma Fri 05-Dec-14 21:34:27

Thanks NK Yeah they're both SSRIs. So very glad your boy is better. When he was on them did the medics monitor him very closely?

ChampagneAndCrisps Fri 05-Dec-14 21:55:58

My DS has been on fluoxetine for a while. He's 12, and has Tourettes with comorbid obsessional symptoms. I would also say he has been depressed.
A low dose of Fluoxetine has really helped him.
I think medication is worth a go, if the anxiety is bad enough. We expect people just to cope, but some people's brains are just wired differently and they need medication.
When the Prozac stopped for a while - due to a misunderstanding on blood tests - my DS worsened significantly. Much more anxious, obsessional and low mood.

ChampagneAndCrisps Fri 05-Dec-14 21:59:07

I think the SSRIs have less cardiac effects than older anti-depressants. But,I would ask why the GP thinks her heart rate is so high.
Hyperthyroidism could cause anxiety and a fast heart rate.

My DS isn't monitored closely - but his Psych knows me personally and I can email if any problems.

YeGodsAndLittleFishes Fri 05-Dec-14 22:11:22

DD has been on Flouxetine since she was 14. This is the only SSRI used for children usually, and we had to agree to keep a close eye on her mood while she got used to it. She was prescribed for depression, but it has also helped her social anxiety.

Agree that testing thyroid function and other causes of raised heart rate would be a good idea.

madmomma Fri 05-Dec-14 22:17:42

Thanks guys. The GPs are confident that her heart and lungs are healthy (although she has asthma). I don't know anything about hyperthyroidism but will google, thanks.
I will enquire about thyroid tests, thanks for the lead.

madmomma Fri 05-Dec-14 22:25:54

Hmm thyroid symptoms aren't ringing any bells but I bet her iron is low actually. She's a picky vegetarian with heavy periods so maybe she could be anaemic. Just found out that can cause a fast heart rate.

CatCushion Fri 05-Dec-14 22:32:29

Also, hashimotos is an auto immune thyroid condition which can start off as hyperthyroidism (as early as late teens, but varies as lot) and swaps to hypothyroidism and back again. (Just in case she exoeriences a range of symptoms).

I didn't know anaemia can cause a fast heart rate.

ChampagneAndCrisps Sat 06-Dec-14 07:47:15

My DD was on Sertraline for anxiety for a short time - she also has Tourettes. Unfortunately it sent her high pretty quickly & had to stop. She does seem incredibly sensitive to side effects in lots of drugs, though.
If you go ahead with treatment you may find you've to try a few drugs to find one that suits.

Is it worth asking for a Psych referral? Where we live the adolescent unit see teenagers up to the age of 18. I realise that may bring in further delay. But Adolescent Psychiatrists will have more experience than the GP.

Absolutely no harm to GPs - mine have been a great support with the kids' illness.

Discopanda Tue 09-Dec-14 00:46:39

I was on citalopram several years ago and personally I would suggest exploring other avenues. It basically turned me into a zombie, wasn't helping my depression as it just made me feel emotionally numb.

madmomma Thu 11-Dec-14 17:43:34

Well she's decided for herself that she would like to try a little dose of citalopram to see if it helps, alongside her CBT. She's just been for her asthma check up and the asthma nurses have told her she doesn't have asthma and it's anxiety causing the symptoms. So she's been advised by them to stop her asthma meds and try an anti-anxiety drug instead tosee if it helps. I think the GP may want her to give the CBT more time first though. Thanks for the input and please keep posting if any more thoughts

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now