Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How can I make DD wee?!

(11 Posts)
zgaze Thu 04-Dec-14 12:52:56

DD age nearly 3 hasn't wee-d since 8pm last night. Been to the Drs this morning wondering if she has a UTI - she's been dribbling tiny bits of wee for a week, most unlike her (she's potty trained, never has accidents) and on the advice of a pharmacist we proceeded as though she had a touch of thrush. No other symptoms other than a slightly red labia. But last night she cried when she wee-d and said it hurt, and then this morning refused to go at all. The doctor feels that she's probably a bit sore and so withholding intentionally, but wants a urine sample to check for infection. BUT HOW!! We've got until 4pm before the doctor wants her back in to check if something else is causing it if still no wee. Surely this must be really bad for her kidneys or something, I'm worrying a bit. She's got no temperature or anything and is full of beans jumping around.

Doublethecuddles Thu 04-Dec-14 12:56:14

Try giving her something she really line to drink, even if it's something she doesn't normally have eg fizzy drink
I hope she feels better soon, she must have a bladder of cast iron strength!

zgaze Thu 04-Dec-14 13:02:08

Yes tried thatl she's had everything I can think of offered.

She's even had two poos just not accompanied by the all important wee, I'm impressed with her control if it is intentional!

marne2 Thu 04-Dec-14 13:11:23

It might just be where she is sore so is scared to wee, you could encourage her to wee whilst in the bath ( then it wouldn't sting )? If she does keep holding on it could cause a UTI .

divingoffthebalcony Thu 04-Dec-14 13:14:16

The OP can't collect a sample if she wee's in the bath though.

All I can suggest is keep loading her with drinks. She can't hold on forever.

GoldiandtheBears Thu 04-Dec-14 13:24:23

They bath method is very good, make sure you tell her it wont hurt and I would offer her a present or treat if she manages it. make sure there is no soap or anything in the bath.

We have a lot of experience with UTIs, the underlying cause was bad constipation putting pressure on her bladder and tubes. My DD couldn't wee for 24 hrs once and it was very serious as she required a catheter inserted, but luckily there was no kidney damage etc. The nurses at the hospital used the bath method subsequently as she was scared it would hurt. My DD drank and drank and drank and everyone thought she was withholding intentionally but infact the tubes were squashed and didn't let any liquid out. They ultrasounded her bladder but even when it came out they were amazed at how much was in there. She looked quite ill in advance of it and told me she needed the hospital!

zgaze Thu 04-Dec-14 13:32:06

I've tried the bath thing, she looked at me like I was mad and said 'don't be silly mama, I'm not allowed to wee in the bath!'. I don't think it's constipation just because she's had these two (big) poos, the first was harder than normal but the second was completely normal and full formed.

I'm offering her the best treats (Frozen related anything) and nothing's working. She's drinking lots and thankfully still breastfed so she'd having loads of that too. The Dr did say it would just have to come eventually even if she's trying to control it, I suppose I'm just panicking it's a blockage of some sort, shouldnt google really.

zgaze Thu 04-Dec-14 16:18:09

Still no wee :-(

marne2 Thu 04-Dec-14 16:57:28

I would not mention it to her, the more pressure you put on the the more anxious she will get and it won't happen, surely if her bladder is full and there's no blockage then she may wee when she's asleep as she will be unable to hold on to it whilst asleep and relaxed?

If she hasn't gone by the morning then I would take her back to the gp sad.

TywysogesGymraeg Thu 04-Dec-14 17:05:53

I remember once getting in the bath with DD, who was pain when weeing, and getting her to wee on my leg. She thought that was very funny. I weed in the bath first. Then we both showered the germs off!

Showy Thu 04-Dec-14 17:14:31

DS had a similar problem aged 2.8. He hadn't had a wee for a whole day and he had developed a high temperature. He was admitted to hospital while they tried to collect a sample from him. He was admitted at 2am after a call to NHS Direct and they were worried about how high his temp was and the fact that he couldn't/wouldn't wee.

OMG, you do not know resilience until you've tried to make a small child wee. After 12hrs in the hospital and every bribe, plea and some desperate trickery, he still wouldn't wee. In the end we had to give up and take all pressure off. He would NOT do it until we totally ignored the whole idea of using the potty and went back to a semi-normal life. Eventually he took himself off to the potty... and then promptly did a poo too, contaminated the sample and we were back to ruddy square one.

Turned out he had tonsillitis. The weeing thing was just dehydration from the fever which turned into a battle of wills.

You have my every sympathy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now