Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Can we use that suppository for a 13yo dc?? help please!

(7 Posts)
bluebell345 Thu 04-Dec-14 08:22:26

Our dc hasn't had NO2 for 10 days I am guessing, not sure.
I bought these suppositories yesterday but I am not sure to use them.
www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/sainsburys-constipation-relief-x12
Our 13yo dc is quite tall and well built like an adult.
On the leaflet it says these suppositories are not for children, they are for adults.
So, can we use them or not? Or can we cut them and use them?
Thanks in advance for the advices.flowers

magpieginglebells Thu 04-Dec-14 08:25:29

I would nip into a pharmacy and speak to the pharmacist for advice.

bluebell345 Thu 04-Dec-14 08:27:16

That's a good idea magpieginglebells smile, thank you.

MERLYPUSSEDOFF Thu 04-Dec-14 10:43:24

You can get childrens glycerin suppositories. I was told to cut them in half for babies. You could use half

sallysparrow157 Thu 04-Dec-14 10:48:57

I would use half or a quarter, I usually use 1 gram ones for kids but if he is a big 13yr old half a 4g one should be ok. Cut in half with scissors and tell him to put it in blunt end first not pointy end first!

SoEmbarrassingIveNameChanged Thu 04-Dec-14 10:51:33

I've had constipation for a week, had a whole thread on it in pregnancy, hence the name! Movicol works wonders, if you can speak to a doctor, they can prescribe it over the phone. You can get childrens versions I think, I'm not sure if a 13 year old can take the adults version or not.

Its a sachet you mix with water, so if DC doesn't want something up their bum (like me!) They might be ok with it. The suppository didn't even work for me.

bluebell345 Fri 05-Dec-14 05:17:50

Thank you very much for the replies. smile
I went straight to pharmacists, I waited for half an hour to get a reply at boots and was told can only give it under dr's supervision. I asked her if we can cut it and use it she said no.
Then went to another pharmacist found children's version, it worked at 2 times to totally empty the bowels. They also said not to cut and use the adults' version one.
Before we tried senokot senna tablets but they didn't help.
And I learnt that when medicines say for adults it means 16yo and over, it doesn't have anything to do with height, weight, etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now