Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

depressed 10 year old

(6 Posts)
nicknamehelp Wed 03-Dec-14 17:36:07

Since starting year 6 my ds has been very teary and lost cinfidence to the point of saying hes no good at things he's normally excelled in. He tells me main problem is his teacher (shw shouts a lot which he is very sensitive too) we have repeatedly tried talking to school about our worries but they don't seem to see the problem. Iwant to take him to gp but dh says is a phase any ideas?

Dragonfly71 Wed 03-Dec-14 17:52:15

We had a similar situation last year, when my DS was in yr 5, very shouty teacher. A few children were floundering (one even moved school) and I think several parents raised it. The school must have intervened as the shouting was definitely toned down and DS was much happier.
Are you able to talk to other parents about this? I asked my DS for specific examples and was going to approach the governers but luckily didn't need to in the end.Of course there is a difference between a teacher raising her/ his voice to get attention of class and actually shouting at them or at individuals. So I guess it depends on what is happening, if this teacher just has a loud style generally it might be hard to challenge. Although I suspect your DS wouldn't be so upset if this were the case.
The GP might be able to back up your case with the school, if you decide you need to take it higher.
I do feel for you and your DS, its horrible to see them lose confidence.
Is there alot of pressure around SATs? This is effecting my DS, but I keep telling him it's to check the teachers are teaching well not to judge him!

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Wed 03-Dec-14 17:54:06

Do you think he is being bullied?

Gsr06 Wed 03-Dec-14 18:24:07

My ds is 11 and over last year has had a lot of emotional problems, I would talk to gp now, as if he does need support it can take a while to get it. I think it seems to be a really difficult age, I didn't expect to be dealing with this kind if thing so young but anxiety can be all consuming for them.

School didn't listen to us at first either, but they've had to now as ds isn't there at all just now. It's tough to hear your kid upset, stay strong yourself.

nicknamehelp Wed 03-Dec-14 19:07:47

I don't think its bullying. Dh spoken to head today eho said ge thought ds was looking uoset a lot. He is doing a THRIVE Prog the school offer but I don't think teacher who tskrs this talks to teacher there is the issue with. I know from other parents she is not liked by the kid's. So hard to know what is best.

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Thu 04-Dec-14 11:33:56

My dd, also year 6 has had trouble settling in with her teacher this year and has suffered with insomnia as she was getting stressed with it all. But she was diagnosed with PTSD earlier this year which obviously hasn't helped.
If you are still worried about your ds I would get a doctors appointment as children can get depressed.
My dd has received counselling and the counsellor has helped her deal with the changes at school.
www.youngminds.org.uk have a parents helpline. The lines are often busy but they are very good with suggestions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now