Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

banana flavour antibiotics!!! how and why?!!

(6 Posts)
LimesMum Tue 02-Dec-14 20:11:53

Currently trying to get DD (10 months) to take Amoxcillin which is banana flavour but she is having absolutely none of it!!

She has a very profound gag reflex and gags then vomits as soon as she tastes it.

I've tried on a spoon and spring to side of cheek and back of mouth. Also tried mixing it in with various food and also yogurt but no matter what it's in she can tell and now she is actually refusing to eat anything at all, I think because she thinks it's gonna have the meds in.

I've tried it my wand it is repulsive, why oh why make something for babies taste so awful?! ..

The gp says it's the only flavour but a friend seems to think they had an orange amoxcillin once.

Does anyone know of a different flavour? And more importantly anyone have any tricks for getting it into their babies?

Thanks!

fasterkillpussycat Tue 02-Dec-14 20:17:58

I am having the same problem with my daughter - I squirt a small amount into her cheek and wash down with a mouthful of milk. Not ideal as her antibiotics should be given on an empty stomach but, as her nurse said, better to get it down her.

strawberrypenguin Tue 02-Dec-14 20:19:19

My DS is takin this antibiotic at the moment. You can get another flavour - the banana is sugar free and the other flavour has sugar. He doesn't seem to mind he taste though! I think kids antibiotics have always been banana - I remember having it as a child and I'm 30!

Madamecastafiore Tue 02-Dec-14 20:20:24

Dd has orange at the mo. Just ask for that to be prescribed.

Ds used to vomit the banana and ended up having raspberry.

mumteedum Tue 02-Dec-14 20:29:59

Yep it's vile. Chocolate milkshake worked. Currently on cherry or raspberry one. Even worse. Choc milk again. Any more antibiotics and his teeth will fall out! confused

ArchangelGallic Tue 02-Dec-14 20:32:18

Sometimes I'm glad DD is allergic to amoxycillin.

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now