Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Lack of Fever in bacterial infections

(4 Posts)
kyz1981 Mon 01-Dec-14 20:19:31

My DD3 who is 12 months has had 3 infections that have been bacterial and never had more than a very slight rise in temp to say 37.6.

When she was 10 days old she had a UTI but no temp, we were kept in and she had IV antibiotics and never had a low temp either, they knew she had an infection as it grew on a culture, (They thought she had sepsis so had every test under the sun and was on AB straight away).

She has had Pneumonia with very mild 37.3 temp and now a throat infection with loads of puss but little to no temperature.

She has had viral colds and things in between and never had a temp with these either and all three infections were diagnosed by different drs so I doubt its a covering in case of an infection.

Just wondered if anyone had a child like this?

I asked the very nice GP today and he said that high temps were more likely viral and it was quite common with bacterial infections to have no temp, I have never heard this before and believed the opposite to be correct. (But he is a great GP and has a very good reputation).

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 02-Dec-14 09:12:44

My DD was like this under 12months more than 10 bacterial ear infections in her first year including a mastoid abscess, but never a temperature.
She is now a strapping 11 year old she has never caught D and V and rarely has a cold now.

kyz1981 Tue 02-Dec-14 10:11:56

lonecatwithkitten That's really good to know, I hope DD has an immune system like your DD when she is bigger.

Did your DD ever start to get temps when unwell when older?

DeWee Tue 02-Dec-14 15:12:42

Dd1 didn't run temperatures. She had pretty bad pneumonia without any rise at all.
Dd2 regualrly ran temperatures. I got used to not panicking if it was over 41-and it would stay there for about 3 days before it would gradually come down.
Ds is between the two. he does run temperatures, but in the 39s rather than over 40. Over 40 I do worry with him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now