Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

My 8yo appears to be teething.....

(22 Posts)
girliefriend Sat 29-Nov-14 20:31:01

confused seriously? Do they get more teeth at this age?

She has been in tears saying her gums hurt at the back, when I had a look it appears like another tooth right at the back of her mouth is coming through!

I thought teething days were long gone grin gave calpol which helped, anyone with any experience?

OwlCapone Sat 29-Nov-14 20:32:06

There are more molars to come through but I didn't think that happened at 8 I must say. The last molars tend to come through at around 12-13.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Sat 29-Nov-14 20:32:46

Yes they get teeth for a few years yet

girliefriend Sat 29-Nov-14 20:35:16

Oh God really Fanjo? That does not fill me with joy.

ineedaholidaynow Sat 29-Nov-14 20:35:54

You have more adult teeth than milk teeth as you have more molars, although some of these don't normally come through until teens. I assume your DD hasn't lost all her milk teeth yet

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Sat 29-Nov-14 20:37:03

Teeth are a pain. Hope you can keep on top of it with calpol

girliefriend Sat 29-Nov-14 20:43:31

I'm not sure ineed she has lost all the front milk teeth but I don't think any others have fallen out confused teeth confuse me tbh!

We are both due a dentist check up so will chase that up this week I think.

By the by (while you are all here wink) dd found an old milk tooth that I must have forgotten to throw away was kept for sentimental reasons, she has hopefully put it under her pillow!! Do tooth fairies pay out for old teeth?

I can't decide!

SweetsForMySweet Sun 30-Nov-14 20:42:22

It's probably her wisdom teeth. They are really big and often give trouble. I had four removed under general anaesthetic when I was about 28. My dh still has trouble with his but it comes and goes. If it persists she may need to see a dentist. Clove oil is good, you can get it in the health shop.

Tykeisagirl Sun 30-Nov-14 20:44:41

My almost 7 year old has molars erupting at the back despite only having lost two baby teeth. According to a friend who's a dental nurse it's perfectly normal at this age.

OwlCapone Sun 30-Nov-14 20:45:40

It's probably her wisdom teeth.

Er, no it isn't! She's 8!!

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Sun 30-Nov-14 20:49:33

I'd give her wisdom teeth another 10 years at least

bonzo77 Sun 30-Nov-14 20:52:00

Dentist. There are 20 baby teeth which all usually get replaced. Then there are another 12 molars that come through without losing baby teeth. The first molars come through at around aged 6, the second ones at around 12, the third (wisdom teeth) molars aged 18 onwards. There is some variation though, and at aged 8 they could be 1st or 2nd molars. The clue will be in how many other teeth / spaces from lost baby teeth are present in the rest of that quadrant of the mouth. If there are already 5 they are 1st molars, and if 6 they are 2nd molars. This can be complicated though if teeth have been lost / extracted early or are congenitally missing. If u post a pic OP I could tell you.

BaffledSomeMore Sun 30-Nov-14 20:53:49

I was a bit shocked at our last dentist appointment to find out dd then 7 had got her extra molars through. She hadn't made any fuss at all.

Mrsmorton Sun 30-Nov-14 20:55:34

I heart bonzo

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Sun 30-Nov-14 21:01:40

My DD got them at 5. She is very advanced grin

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Sun 30-Nov-14 21:02:37

I must show your post to my Auntie bonzo. She keeps stressing because DD has got gaps between her teeth and won't believe me that she needs the gaps as she still has quite a few adult teeth to come in..she is 8

bonzo77 Sun 30-Nov-14 21:05:17

fanjo those gaps are important. You are right. Some of them are so important they have a special name: leeway spaces.

mrsM I luffs u too.

bonzo77 Sun 30-Nov-14 21:09:18

baffled which adds weight to my theory that teething is not the cause of all those teething symptoms in babies, certainly not significant pain, diarrhoea or snottiness. A little drooling and chewing on gums that are starting to feel different. Maybe. Says a mother of 2 who got all their teeth through with little if any trouble.

QueenCardigan Sun 30-Nov-14 21:12:45

I can always tell when my 9yo is teething as she starts chewing on her sleeves etc. At one point I even bought her a teether!

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Sun 30-Nov-14 21:49:32

My colleague tried to tell me her DD had had a 41C temp from teething. hmm

bonzo77 Mon 01-Dec-14 12:41:21

My gp told me, in hushed and embarrassed tones, that her toddler had meningitis. But even she had put the initial symptoms down to teething. Luckily he was fine, but she said that she always warns parents not to dismiss fever, diarrhoea or any other symptoms as "teething".

girliefriend Mon 01-Dec-14 21:44:11

Wow thankyou for the replies! Have only just seen them and dd is in bed now but will count her teeth tomos, poss attempt a photo grin

I am no expert but if I had to hazard a guess it would be that these are second molars as the ones coming through look similar to ones she already has iyswim?!

Bonzo she has also been c/o some soreness underneath her tongue confused any idea what that might be?! I can't see anything obvious!!

Oh and incase anyone is wondering the tooth fairy gave £1 for the old tooth wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now