Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

over worried about SIDS?

(9 Posts)
happymum111 Sat 29-Nov-14 19:50:44

Hi Everyone,
I am a new mum to a 9 day old girl. I have been told lots about SIDS and how different things can increase the risks. I am a smoker, however I have managed to cut down to about 3 a day, and I never smoke in the house, I always make sure I wear a hoodie outside and take it off when I come back inside, I was my hands, have a wash and brush my teeth and wait for as long as possible before going near baby. However I am still really scared that she may be at risk of SIDS. Even to the point where if I wake up in the middle of the night I end up waking her up just to make sure that she is still alive. Sounds crazy I know.

I think the main concern I have is when she is at my mums, my mum is old fashioned and will smoke around her, wont wash her hands unless I tell her and her partner even had a cigarette right next her last week which I was horrified about!

I am just wondering am I right to be so concerned? Am I putting her at risk by letting my mum near her? Or am I just being over paranoid and over concerned? As i said before she is only 9 days old, is there a real danger zone for SIDS, or is there a time when they become less at risk?

Thankyou.

Fattyfattyyumyum Sat 29-Nov-14 19:58:15

Exposing her to cigarette smoke at such a young age has huge health implications, not just SIDS. Why did you allow yours step dad to smoke next to her?! You need to man up and start putting her first.

I think highest SIDS risk is up to 6 months, but asthma & other breathing issues will be caused & exacerbated at any age

callamia Sat 29-Nov-14 20:10:39

It's about carbon monoxide isn't it. Smokers breathe carbon monoxide and this is potentially a real problem for babies. Their lungs don't need that. Don't let anyone smoke around your baby - she's yours, not your mum's and you need to look out for her.

If nothing else, do you want a tiny baby who smells of fags? I hated it when my baby smelled of other people's perfume - cigarette smoke would just be horrible.

happymum111 Sat 29-Nov-14 20:11:37

He is very old fashioned, so I dont think he quite realised how much it was going to upset me. However the rules have been set and he isnt to smoke around her ever again. Which I think he will stick to. I understand about second hand smoke and the implications it has which is why I am trying to quit, but also why I am taking all the steps I explained to make sure that I dont expose her to any cigarette smoke. Thankyou though, I just wanted to know if I am being over paranoid or if I should be worried about her suddenly dieing.

Viviennemary Sat 29-Nov-14 20:14:19

I think a lot of new Mums worry about SIDS. I certainly did if DD was asleep for long periods as she wasn't a good sleeper. I used to touch her hand to make sure she moved. It's a bit mad. But still. Just make sure they know they are absolutely not to smoke near your baby. Which you've already done.

happymum111 Sat 29-Nov-14 20:26:10

Yes I do that too, in the middle of the night I get up and give her a little poke just to make sure she moves and she is okay. My other half keeps urging me to put the moses basket in the cot of a night time so she can get used to the surroundings however i much prefer her right next to me on the stand so I can just look up and see her and I can still hear her breathing ect. Glad to hear i'm not the only one.

callamia Sat 29-Nov-14 21:18:44

Btw, my son is 13m and I still get up at stupid o clock at night to check on him. It sounds like you're doing just fine. I'm going to be super mean, and tell you that I bet you don't need those three fags either, but you can tell me to shut up wink

OiMissus Sat 29-Nov-14 21:27:25

My boy is 3 next week. (No one has smoked around him.) I still check on him when he's asleep.
I'll probably still be prodding him when he's 18.
You're perfectly normal! wink
(But absolutely don't be shy of telling others what they can and can't do around your baby. You are the mum, it's your job.)

coniferssilhouette Sun 30-Nov-14 22:35:08

We aren't smokers, but I used to set hourly alarms to check on my son throughout the night to check he was okay for a while!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now