Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Just found 2yo ds with open bottle of b12 pills-should I be worried?

(7 Posts)
cleoteacher Sat 29-Nov-14 11:43:57

Stupid dh left bottle within ds reach and found him with all pills on floor in front of him, no signs he's taken any but can't be sure. Rung nhs direct number and waiting for nurse to call back.

Should we be worried.

Ebb Sat 29-Nov-14 13:45:40

I can't imagine he wouldn't have eaten many as they must taste vile crunched up but I'm sure NHS direct will be able to advise you. Hopefully he's just been playing with them rather than eating them.

Ebb Sat 29-Nov-14 13:46:26

Can't imagine he *would have eaten many

MagicBacon Sat 29-Nov-14 13:52:24

apparently you can't OD on B12 anyway, your body just excretes what it doesn't need. Your H needs to be more careful though.

nocoolnamesleft Sat 29-Nov-14 14:49:04

Should be okay, but nhs direct can look it up on toxbase to make sure (sorry, can't remember work's login). But it is a wake up call on medicines safety...

cleoteacher Mon 01-Dec-14 19:12:47

Thanks guys. Very cross with my husband but guess these mistakes can happen , I am not the perfect parent. He's promised to be more careful in future.

Nurse rung back and said not toxic and symptoms to look out for. Ds seems perfectly fine so I think he was playing with them . Got a long lecture about not leaving my son alone and locking away things like that though which made me feel guilty and a bad parent for leaving him alone even though it was dh who left the pills lying around!

Anyway all ok in end.

MagicBacon Tue 02-Dec-14 09:45:25

If it makes you feel any better I had a similar incident but with rat poison instead of vitamins! Luckily they were blue coloured so I presumed that if DS had eaten any his tongue would be blue, but my heart was in my mouth when I found him in the shed, sitting on the floor with his hand in the box which had a big skull and crossbones on it shock

XH got a bollocking for that one too, as he was supposed to be keeping an eye on him and had left him alone after getting the poison down from the top shelf (we had just moved onto a farm and it was still there from previous occupants).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now