Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Toddler won't take anti biotics, any suggestions?

(3 Posts)
Phantomteadrinker Fri 28-Nov-14 21:45:27

Hi all, 2yo ds had been given oral abs for a skin infection but I cannot get them in him as he spits it out everytime. He's had abs a few times and has been fine but these are different and to be fair smell awful so god knows what they taste like, am pg so don't want to try!

We've tried bribery and brute force without success, any thoughts or what else we can try? I was thinking of putting them in his juice cup with some apple juice, would that be alright? He needs them 4 times a day and I'm getting desperate! Any tips?

MoonlightandRoses Fri 28-Nov-14 23:14:29

Might sound a bit random but, any chance you could pour it out (use small measure/medicine cup) and give it to him to take himself, followed by treat for doing so?

Used to work for small child here at that age when all else had failed - for some reason handing over the decision of when to pour vile liquid down throat to toddler seemed to make the difference between complete refusal and success.

NomorepepperpigPLEASE Fri 28-Nov-14 23:20:29

I'm currently going through same thing with dd2 (18 month)

This is going to sound horrific.

Medicine syringe.
Hold dd as if lying down in my arms then pin her against my chest, her arms trapped by my arms and chest. Then during the struggle when she cries I squirt it right to the back of her throat.

I have wrapped her in a tole before now and used the same 'method'

Hideous I know but over in seconds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now