Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Panicking - just realised I should have been washing spacer for inhaler...

(15 Posts)
Corluvaduck Thu 27-Nov-14 20:12:28

DS (7) has had a brown inhaler for a few weeks. He's well (bar a very slight cough) and I think it's helped.
But I have realised that the spacer should have been washed every week. I didn't wash it at all in 6 weeks (have now, but only just realised).

Do I need to call the doctor or anything? Feel really bad that I've not followed the instructions!
Also he has a spacer in school which hasn't been washed since the start of term (obviously will do this tomorrow).

Sorry if this is a silly question.

TurnOverTheTv Thu 27-Nov-14 20:13:27

I've never washed the spacer, didn't even realise!

InfinitySeven Thu 27-Nov-14 20:13:29

I don't think mine was washed in my entire childhood. I'm alive, and well. Don't worry.

Corluvaduck Thu 27-Nov-14 20:14:15

Oh, thank you both so much!

MoreSnowPlease Thu 27-Nov-14 20:14:34

We were in hospital the other day and consultant tild me it should be washed every week as she laughed as if it wasn't really that much of a problem. It was clear ours wasn't! I wouldn't worry.

HugeFurryKnittingBalls Thu 27-Nov-14 20:15:21

I only ever gave my dd's a cursory rinse if it had ended up somewhere a bit icky, you're definitely not supposed to scrub the inside of it anyway.

Don't panic!

EmmaGellerGreen Thu 27-Nov-14 20:16:06

Nope, never ever washed mine. Not once.

Corluvaduck Thu 27-Nov-14 20:16:06

Thank you moresnow.

Not sure why I panicked so much, but just felt I'd been doing it all wrong and felt guilty.

Thank you all. Feel so much better.

Corluvaduck Thu 27-Nov-14 20:17:14

Thank you Huge and Emma too.

Sirzy Thu 27-Nov-14 21:08:13

I wash DS every few weeks (but he has high doses of inhaler)

When you wash them though don't dry them, its important not to rub the inside of the spacer. I just leave it in boiling water for a bit then leave it to air dry

Sidge Thu 27-Nov-14 21:39:14

They only need washing about once a month.

If you have a Volumatic one they work better when not washed too often! (Something to do with static and particles).

So don't panic - it's more important to give him his inhalers than to wash the spacer smile

306235388 Thu 27-Nov-14 23:19:43

Oh. shock I've never washed Ds' which is minging when I think about it....

306235388 Thu 27-Nov-14 23:23:50

Actually when I think about it I have washed it after he's had a really bad cold / infection / tummy bug BUT I've never ever washed his school one....

JellyBabiesSaveLives Sat 29-Nov-14 16:02:51

What happens if you scrub the inside then?

I think I've washed mine once ...

JammyGeorge Sat 29-Nov-14 20:33:27

I was told to wash it every now and again and use warm water and washing up liquid but not to rinse the bubbles off to just leave it on the draining board to dry bubbles n all.

Can't remember why!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now