Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chicken Pox or Rash?

(10 Posts)
ineedsomeinspiration Thu 27-Nov-14 19:49:18

Do you think this is ChickenPox or a Viral Rash. The spot have been there for at least four days now and don't really seem to be doing anything. Prior to that ds had really nasty head cold with high temps, cough and off food for several days. They are all over his body not just his legs and they aren't itchy at all.
Meant to be at swimming lessons tomorrow and childminders next week.

BiggerYellowTaxi Thu 27-Nov-14 19:52:12

I think if they haven't blistered or scabbed in 4 days it's very unlikely to be chickenpox. My two DC have just had CP and by day 3 it was obviously CP.

SingSongSlummy Thu 27-Nov-14 19:53:56

Almost certainly the pox I think! We've just had it here and DD2 had just a couple of spots for a few days before she properly broke out. My two also had a cough and a dicky tummy, which apparently often come prior to the pox breaking out. sad

GetMe Thu 27-Nov-14 19:57:26

I think I'm with bigger. We've just been through the pox and they are really bumpy/blistery for a few days and then get really scabby, there was no mistaking it!

ineedsomeinspiration Thu 27-Nov-14 20:02:35

So we have two for viral rash and one for pox. I don't want to go about infecting everyone. We have a birthday day out on Sunday.
I remember having them as I was six and I'm sure they were bigger than this, well my scars certainly are.

BiggerYellowTaxi Thu 27-Nov-14 20:26:10

If you look closely, do any of the spots have blisters on them? That's the defining feature but it does take a few days to happen. As to size, my 4yo's were huge but my 11 month old's are mostly tiny with only 4 bigger ones. You'll definitely know by Sunday. I hope you all get to enjoy the birthday day out.

GetMe Thu 27-Nov-14 20:31:51

Both of mine's blistered as soon as they erupted, they were scabbing over by day 3 or 4. I think if they haven't blistered after 4 days it's pretty unlikely to be pox.

ineedsomeinspiration Thu 27-Nov-14 21:21:08

Hard to get him to stay still for two seconds for me to have a look. I'll look again in the morning.

Marcellina12 Tue 02-Dec-14 04:38:31

If she has blisters and it's itchy, it's chickenpox! Better bring her to her doctor to be sure.

SofiaAmes Tue 02-Dec-14 04:58:03

There is a strain of Hand Foot and Mouth going around the USA that involves rash on the arms, legs and torso (instead of the hands and feet). Way to tell for sure is if he has mouth ulcers. Then it's definitely Hand Foot and Mouth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now