Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Tracheal tugs and chest recession

(17 Posts)
jilted Wed 26-Nov-14 11:15:24

Brief history.... ds 3rd child had severe bronco at about 6 weeks old last year (now is 1)
Anyway, I had taken him to the A and E with breathing difficulty and they sent us home saying there was nothing they could do for bronco.
Next day, his oxygen levels were severely low as well as blood sugars, ie he was only 'just' still with us. He was rushed to another hospital to ICU and was on a respirator for 8 days.

This time, I suspected he had it again. Tracheal tug, chest recessions, really struggling..... so I took him in. Again sent us home as 'nothing we can do for bronco. Put us on salbutamol every four hours. Went the night with no improvement and took him to GP in morning. GP sent us back to A and E where we stayed most of day but sent home in the evening.
Dr had heard 'crackles' in his chest and still struggling to breathe but oxygen levels were fine. High temp of 39.6 that eve.

So anyway, two days on not really any improvement. Weak , hoarse cry and v tired but also no 'worse' as when he left I would say.
However, he still has his tracheal tug and pulling in the to breathe. (my older dd has asthma attacks so am used to seeing it)
Anyway, what do I do? Should I just wait it out and see if it goes?

I think I have little faith in the A and E now because of what happened last time.
He is still on salbutamol (which I personally don't think is helping much but just distressing him a lot)
Not eating or drinking as much as usual but has had wet nappy and he is alert when he is awake even though weak voice etc.
Is it normal for a tracheal tug and tummy work for breathing go n this long though?

Penano Wed 26-Nov-14 11:50:39

I really feel for you. My DC2 has almost exactly this history. I would be back at GP certainly, but if really worried I would be back at a&e. Given last year's history I totally understand why you are worried. I hope he improves. Sorry, no real advice as I'm not medical, just empathy!

jilted Wed 26-Nov-14 14:01:39

Thank you penano, how is you lo now? It's horrid seeing them that way isn't it.

Ebb Wed 26-Nov-14 14:09:37

I would certainly take him back to the Doctors if not A&E. DD, 4, developed a severe chest infection last Friday, double strength antibiotics , and she really struggled with her breathing over the weekend. I can't fault my local out of hours service as they were great. The Doctor prescribed a sabutamol inhaler and asked us to wait for an hour to check her breathing again. Luckily for us, and she's obviously that much older than your ds, it worked and helped her breathing otherwise the Doctor would have sent us to the local children's hospital. She insisted I had a follow up appointment the following day ( Monday ) and, thankfully, her chest was much clearer. It's been a long few days and she's finally getting better. I definitely wouldn't wait around with a one year old before seeing a Doctor again. I hope you get some help and little one gets better soon.

Penano Wed 26-Nov-14 14:30:00

My DD is ok now thanks. It took a long time though & now it is RSV season I am watching carefully! Our GP has prescribed an atrovent (sp?) inhaler which really seemed to help to help with her last chest infection. I really hope your DS picks up and you get some help from either GP or a&e, he'll be exhausted (as no doubt will you!)

rantypanty Wed 26-Nov-14 18:14:28

I would take him back to that or another(?) a&e. Any time my ds has chest recessions/tracheal tug we have gone or been sent by GP to a&e and they have told us to go back if he gets the same again. He is younger than your ds though.
In case you haven't already seen it (you probably have), this is a useful guide
Bronchiolitis - Symptoms - NHS Choices

Hope he is better soon

jilted Wed 26-Nov-14 18:23:54

That's true Penano, tis the season!! Hope he stays well this winter. That's a good idea ranty. When you came out of hospital did he still have some tug or had it all gone?
Dr said she didn't hear much wheeze but 'crackles'
He's been a bit more awake today but still has the tug and pulling in tummy/chest.....this is two days on now and in total about 5 days he's had this. I'm worried he will conk out from it all as it must be so tiring. I tried doing it myself a bit �� and I certain Ly couldn't do it for more than a few hours! But I've never suffered from any breathing probes so hard for me to understand.

rantypanty Wed 26-Nov-14 18:43:22

They didn't send him home until it was gone, and sent with inhalers to control it.
Doctors said tug /recessions were signs he was struggling and that it would tire a baby out after a while, so it needed to be treated. Appreciate your ds is a bit older tho, so don't know if this would apply.
You could call 111 for advice too if you wanted

Penano Thu 27-Nov-14 08:26:46

How is your DS this morning Jilted?

rantypanty Thu 27-Nov-14 18:25:15

Seconding Penano, how is your ds today?

jilted Thu 27-Nov-14 19:42:09

Hi Pen and Ranty, thank you for asking. This am when I woke up he had quite a dry mouth but was ok after a good drink. He was pretty grumpy most of the day but seemed happier this eve. His breathing has been on and offish but not worse. I'm trying to give the salbutamol when he is asleep as it's so hard when he is awake. X

MoreSnowPlease Thu 27-Nov-14 19:48:15

Does he have antibiotics? If it's crackles not wheeze then it should be ab's not salbutamol?

jilted Thu 27-Nov-14 20:41:58

More snow, no nothing. I was wondering about it though. They said he didn't really have wheeze just said about the crackles. As said earlier tbh I don't think the salbutamol is doing much anyway.

jilted Thu 27-Nov-14 20:44:54

So yes, why salbutamol if no wheeze?!
My dd1 has salbutamol for her asthma and I do see a distinct improvement (unless she needs oxygen) not with him.

MoreSnowPlease Thu 27-Nov-14 20:46:11

Yeh sorry I was a bit confused. But salbutamol is for the wheeze. The crackles I think it depends where they are. If ds has them deep in lungs they usually give abs but if higher up it could be the small airways in nose and throat. I stop giving inhaler when no wheeze left

MoreSnowPlease Thu 27-Nov-14 20:47:32

Yes if I was you I would go back and request abs. Maybe they are jumpy as it's the season for VIW

jilted Thu 27-Nov-14 21:38:54

Ok, thanks snow. Hard to say I guess. Other than the first bronco episode he has not had any probs thus far. Dd1 however has allergies ,eczema and post viral asthma. Dd2 has nothing along those lines but ds3 has had very bad eczema so maybe they thought VIW. GP thought bronchiolitis again. Anyway it's all a bit confusing. I guess their symptoms are all so similar. Maybe I'll follow up with the GP and ask about the Salbutamol too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now