Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Vitamins for babies?

(7 Posts)
Wilf83 Wed 26-Nov-14 09:49:54

I just came across an article that says bf babies should have vitamins from 6 months. I never knew this & my HV never mentioned anything (my dd is now 8 months). Is this correct- I feel bad that she hasn't been having them!

ilovepowerhoop Wed 26-Nov-14 12:18:31

they are advised for all babies/children from 6 months to 5 years (Formula fed babies need them when they drop below a pint of formula per day as the formula is fortified) - the main ones are vitamins A, C and D.

gingertreat Wed 26-Nov-14 12:26:18

If you are breastfeeding your little one, so the only thing I would suggest is to make sure that you eat healthy and balanced meals.
Babies do not digest well vitamins.

ilovepowerhoop Wed 26-Nov-14 12:30:41

www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/vitamins-for-children.aspx#close - vitamin D is most important especially at this time of year as the skin will be covered and it is hard to get it from food alone.

ilovepowerhoop Wed 26-Nov-14 12:32:26

also if you didnt take vitamin D during pregnancy then you may be advised to supplement too

Wilf83 Wed 26-Nov-14 12:51:48

I'm annoyed HV didn't tell me angry

AdorableAbbie Wed 26-Nov-14 17:04:27

As I remember I first introduced vitamins with my DD when she was only 3 months old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now