Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Questions about toddler diarrhoea- cut dairy or not?

(7 Posts)
Honesttodog Tue 25-Nov-14 19:14:35

DSL appears to be intolerant to cows milk, yogurt, fromage frais. He has the odd bit of cows milk in food but if he has it in his cereal or has a FF we usually get runny poo 1-2 days after.

He has basically been having Koko milk and v little other dairy except butter for about a year. He is fine and growing, tho v cranky and hard to keep him full of food.

Everything seems to say to keep up a normal diet if they have TD. But he doesn't have the runs if I cut out the milk. I reintroduced some CM a couple of weeks ago and he began having explosive poos, lots of accidents in his pants after v smooth potty training last Sept - seems unfair to make him go thru that in order to get cows milk into him. What should I do? I am thinking about keeping him off the milk but giving a bit of greek yog with honey a couple of times a week. Just to try to increase dairy a bit.

gruber Tue 25-Nov-14 19:26:22

Definitely cut it out. Our DS had explosive diarrohea for 6 days, before we cut out dairy completely on advice of Dr. Previous to this episode he had been very constipated, pooing every 48-72 hours but black, green and hard. He has been so much better (1 every 24 hours, normal, soft) since nondairy and I find it hard to believe its a coincidence. He was dairy free after a gastroenteritis bug last winter but then seemingly took back to it ok after a month without any problems till now.

Am now in same situation as you, trying to decide whether to reintroduce limited dairy. Thankfully DS drinks lactose free milk, only prob is like you we are struggling without yoghurt (a staple in his diet). Don't really want him upset again but want him to eat!

gruber Tue 25-Nov-14 19:28:01

Sorry, that's not helpful is it! You have my sympathy, it's a minefield.

hollie84 Tue 25-Nov-14 19:30:32

Toddler diarrhoea is often caused by not enough fat and too much fruit. However if your DS's is directly linked to cow's milk I would cut that out, it's not like he needs it.

gingertreat Wed 26-Nov-14 09:24:01

Eliminate the milk and observe if this will help. They could also be other triggers causing him a problem.
Also, cooked evening meals are essential. Avoid any sugary products or raw fruits or salads in evening.

kinkytoes Wed 26-Nov-14 15:35:30

Could be lactose intolerant rather than dairy intolerant. Dr can do a test to find out.

RunningOutOfIdeas Wed 26-Nov-14 17:47:22

DD2 is dairy intolerant but ok with soya. She has Alpro 1+ soya milk and soya yogurts. I think soya cheese is disgusting but I know she has some at nursery (eg macaroni cheese). There are plenty of other sources of calcium - white bread, broccoli.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now