Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Children and chicken pox - at what age does it get more serious for them to get it?

(3 Posts)
hollingbury Mon 24-Nov-14 20:01:35

In the time my son has been at nursery (2 years), there's been 2 big outbreaks of chicken pox. The second one is going on right now.

He didn't get it last time, but he might get it this time. Who knows...

But, in some ways I'm more concerned if he doesn't get it. He's nearly four. At what age does not getting it become more of an issue? When does it get more serious?

And should I be encouraging it? It's his birthday week so i'm really reluctant to do that (he'll miss his party)!

Thanks

addictedtosugar Mon 24-Nov-14 21:25:47

Don't encourage it.
DS1 went to nursery full time from 1 (with a year PT when I was on ML with DS2). He got it half way through his reception year - as did lots and lots of kids.
They all got it to different levels, but some got away with barely a spot, others were covered - but they have all bounced back.

He will get it at some point if he is going to. I'd say puberty for it being worse.

LeonardWentToTheOffice Mon 24-Nov-14 21:50:07

I got it in my 20s. Real nightmare. So, while I wouldn't encourage it I'd def welcome it and not actively avoid! DS was 3 when he had it - felt a bit relieved tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now