Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How do I make a complaint about treatment whilst in hospital?

(4 Posts)
SparklyReindeerShit Sun 23-Nov-14 14:03:48

Not sure if this is the right topic - if not please say

Dd was re-admitted to hospital the day after she was born. Nothing life threatening but she needed a bit of treatment and had to stay in.
Obviously I had only just given birth so was exhausted and hormonal but I just can't get over the treatment I had from some of the nurses and doctors.
I really like to make a complaint to make sure this doesn't happen again and maybe to make sure their staff are all up to date with training.

I also don't feel like in 'over' it as it makes me quite upset when I think about it still. I found the whole experience very stressful and I'm hoping this could put it to bed so to speak.

Any advice on what to do next would be really appreciated.

SparklyReindeerShit Sun 23-Nov-14 14:04:03

Oh and thanks in advance.

Ijustworemytrenchcoat Sun 23-Nov-14 14:17:53

I'm so sorry it sounds like you have had a difficult tine and are still suffering. My sons birth was quite difficult and protracted and I too dwell on what could have happened.

As this is about the day after your child was born you could ask to have a meeting with the head midwife for a sort of debrief and review, my hospital tuns this service I'm sure it will be a national initiative. Alternatively your hospital will have a PALS (patient advice and liaison service) where you can have a discussion/decide whether you want to make a complaint.

cakeyS8rah Sat 06-Dec-14 14:30:28

What a difficult time to have been treated so poorly, I feel for you. I think it's definitely worth complaining if you do it in the right way, ie state facts, the impact it had on you etc. Each hospital has a PALS service which is where you can make an informal complaint, or if you feel justified go thru formal complaints procedure which will mean it is logged & they have to respond. Look at the "Contact" page on the hospital's website. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now