Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Night time stomach pain keeping DS awake for hours - is there an anti-acid suitable for children?

(9 Posts)
CompassionFatigue Sat 22-Nov-14 09:45:13

DS is 7 and 3 times this week has woken in the night and then cries/can't keep still because of stomach pain. It starts about 2am and goes on for a few hours. Calpol doesn't touch it, me stroking his tummy seems to help a bit. During the day he is fine and completely hale and hearty (tho tired!) so I was wondering if he has reflux of some kind given that it happens in bed..? I will get him checked out with the GP after the weekend, but thought I could try an anti-acid or anti-spasmodic til then. Anyone know if there are any for children?

LIZS Sat 22-Nov-14 09:51:15

Go to chemist but they may be reluctant to suggest anything until you see a gp. Gaviscon can be used by children in some forms but don't self administer. I'd suggest you keep a food diary in case there is a pattern , what time does he eat/drink in the evening and what , could you eat earlier and very plainly ? Use lots of pillows so he isn't sleeping flat, hot water bottle etc.

CompassionFatigue Sat 22-Nov-14 19:34:59

Oh dear. His tummy has been sore on and off all day and have tried some Milk of Magnesia to no effect. Its not like him to be poorly at all. Lizs, thanks, yes I think I will start bearing in mind what he is eating and any possible reactions after. Doctor on Monday I think. It's going to be another long night tonight tho.

Badvocinapeartree Sat 22-Nov-14 19:46:30

Where does it hurt?
Left wife, right side?
Is it worse when you palpate the area?

fairgame Sat 22-Nov-14 19:53:45

My DS has acid reflux and was given gaviscon but i think it has to be prescribed. Don't use lots of pillows because it doesn't work. You have to prop the head of the mattress up so put the pillows under the mattress. DS had his reflux for a few years before he finally got referred to the paediatrician. He then had a 3 month course of omeprazole and he's been ok since.
Definitely get it checked out first though because it sounds like it could be something else. Reflux normally hurts at the top of the stomach and they sometimes complain of pain in their chest. If it's the lower stomach then i'd be inclined to think it's something else.

FelicityBennett Sat 22-Nov-14 20:08:43

Could it be worms? Children often describe it as abdo pain / classically wakes at night. Would be fairly unusual for 7 year old with no daytime symptoms to get severe reflux at night

FelicityBennett Sat 22-Nov-14 20:12:46

Sorry just read your second post. If he has had stomach pain all day I think he should be seen by on call GP to make sure it's not something else.

dreamcometrue Sat 22-Nov-14 20:15:55

Very little help but when I went to Drs with stomach pains as an adult (was gallstones) she said the other option was stomach migraines and often children have them.
www.mychildhealth.net/abdominal-migraine-in-children.html

MERLYPUSSEDOFF Sat 22-Nov-14 21:18:48

Could it be wind? My 2 get very farty at night if they've overdone the wheat. I give then gripe water (I don't see it as being a 'real' medicine) and that often sorts them out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now