Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

11 year old calcification in brain

(3 Posts)
missmoloko Fri 21-Nov-14 14:56:52

Should I be worried my 11 year old boy had a blow to the head in school. Later he was sick twice so I took him to a and e. He had a ct scan everything was apart no swelling or bleeding. But the consultant said they've found what looks like a white dot on the scan which is brain calcification.

He said not worry about it that it was an accidental find but because they've seen it. It will have to be followed up by the gp and may need some further tests.

What does this mean has anyone else got a child with this. Otherwise he is perfectly fit and healthy.
I've got an appointment next week but can't help thinking about it.

MerryInthechelseahotel Fri 21-Nov-14 22:01:39

Never heard of it before miss hopefully it is nothing and you can be reassured.

DeWee Mon 24-Nov-14 10:46:21

I think (and the GP hopefully will confirm this) that a lot of people have brain anomalies that they never find out about until they have to have a scan for another reason. I think (dh did some MRI brain research) that brain calcification is quite common and, in most cases, is symptomless and causes no problems.

It was common enough when they were doing research, to find that sort of thing, that they had provisions in place as to how and where they told their research volunteers if they'd found something. Thankfully they never found anything that was sinister.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now