Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Hypermobility and bowel problems in 7 year old please help

(12 Posts)
krisskross Fri 21-Nov-14 11:28:59

My DS is 7 and was diagnosed with hypermobility at 18 months. Until recently he has had no significant health issues related to hypermobility.

About a year ago he began to complain quite frequently of tummy ache when going to the loo. He is a happy, settled boy and he has a good, balanced diet with loads of fruit, veg, fibre and water. He never seemed consipated and seemed to pass poo easily IMO, though over the year it had become less of a solid stool and more like slush puppy consistency.

We told his GP, who examined him and suggested keeping an eye on it. In July it got worse and worse, to the point where he was crying on the toilet.
The GP prescribed movicol for consitpation. Gradually the pain certainly improved, though it didnt go altogether, but the consistency of his poo stayed the same, with no definite stool.

We returned to GP in September. She did some blood tests including one for coeliac disease. All came back normal. She suggested carrying on for a month or two and watching.

A few weeks ago his repeat prescription was lost at GP and he was about 5 days without movicol. The pain returned with a vengence. Hes been back on it for two weeks and the pain has not gone. We are at our wits end. He is on the toilet for at least an hour in the morning after breakfast and again at least an hour, often more after dinner. He spends alot of this time sobbing. Not due to straining, but due to tummy ache.

We returned to the GP last week. She was very relaxed about it- said he can continue on movicol indefinately. I said that we are still having problems and surely a healthy child with a good diet should not have long term constipation?? Eventually she agreed to refer him to a pediatrician. I asked her about the link between hypermobility and bowel problems and she said she wasnt aware of any.

Mornings have become horrendous because of this. We are now getting him up at 6.30 (instead of 715) to try to let him have as long as he needs on the loo in a relaxed way. However, this has not helped- all that has happened is that he is spending longer on the loo and we have a very fraught time trying to get to school. He is not getting to bed to til at least 9 because hes on the loo. He is exhausted.

According to the hypermobility association website there is a clear relationship between bowel problems and hypermobility. Has anyone got experience of this?

I don't know how to help him. He appears to have symptoms of IBS - runny poo, mucus in it, feeling he hasn't emptied his bowels etc. But he is being treated for constipation. Should we change his diet?

Who should we try to see? A bowel specialist? Hypermobility clinic?
we are at the point where we will scrape the money together to go privately if poss.

Thank you for reading to the end.

princessnumber2 Fri 21-Nov-14 11:33:05

Hi. No advice I'm afraid but I have an 8 year old with HM, constipation and severe nocturnal enuresis (never been dry at night). Constipation not as bad as your son's but interested to hear their might be a link. I hope someone knowledgeable comes sling to give you advice.

By the way, we see a general paediatrician at our local hospital and they've always been quite good at referring us on to other services.

krisskross Fri 21-Nov-14 11:36:28

Thanks for responding princess. I hope the pediatrician will refer him on, but he is so distressed every day that i just don't think we can wait and watch him go through this.

The GP is assuming constipation (on external examination she couldn't feel anything impacted) but I am not convinced.

I dont know if you've looked at but there is lots of info about bowel probs there.

Also, when he was small and had physio they always asked about bowel probs and told me there was a link.

juneau Fri 21-Nov-14 13:08:36

I think you need to see a hypermobility specialist and also have him screened for IBS, because as someone who suffers with IBS (C), which is the one with constipation, his symptoms sound familiar to me. At the very least I would want him to see someone who's speciality is internal medicine. No DC should be suffering as your DS is every day of his life and its having a knock-on effect on the whole family now.

The problem in this country is that GPs are the first port of call for absolutely everything, but because they're generalists and have to know a bit about everything, they don't know the details about many conditions, unless they're things they've had previous experience with.

My advice to you would be - be firm in asking for what you want and don't take 'no' for an answer. Go and see the GP again and ask for an immediate referral.

juneau Fri 21-Nov-14 13:10:13

P.S. If you have BUPA through your or your DP's work you may be able to get in to see a specialist quicker once you've got your referral letter. Just call them and they'll talk you through it.

krisskross Fri 21-Nov-14 14:33:40

thank you juneau. i will request a referral to a hypermobility clinic. who would we ask for re IBS? A bowel specialist? Is there screening for IBS ?
I also think the symptoms sound like IBS and just have no idea what to do now.
Thanks for responding.

pudseypie Fri 21-Nov-14 19:03:16

My ds has hirschsprungs disease and although he doesn't have hyper mobility I know that some other hirschsprungs kids do so there is a link to the bowel. I'd ask to be referred to a paediatric surgeon who specialises in gastrointestinal disorders. We were told however that constipation is really common for children, most of times without an underlying cause.

juneau Fri 21-Nov-14 21:56:07

Well I was screened for IBS by my GP. IBS is one of those things that they test for everything else, and if they can rule out anything they CAN test for, then you generally get a diagnosis of IBS! However, if you do as pudsey suggests and ask for a referral to a paediatric surgeon specialising in intestinal disorders then you should get all the help you need from one person, I would think. I hope you manage to get to the bottom of it all. No pun intended smile

cestlavielife Fri 21-Nov-14 23:15:25

Daily probiotics eg bio care powder can help .

Can be linked to him .

helensburgh Fri 21-Nov-14 23:44:37

Think he needs to see a paediatric gastroenterologist.

Hypermobilty and eosinophilic GI diseasexarecstrongly linked.

Hoe youbgetvsome help xx

krisskross Sat 22-Nov-14 21:28:14

Thanks everyone for your responses, I had no idea there were such specialities as those mentioned above. I will request a referral (and probably be back here asking for advice when the GP says no!)


juneau Sun 23-Nov-14 08:57:32

If its IBS, then yes, I agree. I take pro-biotics every day. They won't do him any harm though, so it might be worth starting him on some asap.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: