Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Baby temperature 37.3

(11 Posts)
Beagadorsrock Fri 14-Nov-14 06:53:45

My 11 months old sleeps with us. He normally wakes around 5 but generally goes right back to sleep after feeding. This morning he wouldn't settle back, kept turning and trying to roll, talking (I think he said a word), and occasionally whining, so I got up with him. We all have a bit of a cough/cold, he's a bit congested. He has one tooth, has been drooling a bit, but doesn't seem in pain otherwise. The in-ear thermometer says anything between 36.5 and 37.3, his back feels a bit warm (I was warm in bed too). What should I do, if anything (am a bit slow due to sleep deprivation!):
1) wait until 8 to call gp to get an 'urgent' appointment today
2) wait longer and take his temperature again later, then do what?
3) we have baby calpol, do I give him some?
4)...?

WiseKneeHair Fri 14-Nov-14 06:56:23

37.3? Or 38.3?
If 37.3, then that's still in the realms of normal, so I would give him lots of fluids, hugs and calpol won't hurt, but I wouldn't worry if he spits it out.

RunningOutOfIdeas Fri 14-Nov-14 06:59:10

I would do 2 and probably 3. A temperature under 38 is ok. A mild temperature is your DS's body fighting a bug. Calpol will reduce the temperature but the main reason I would give it would be if your DS seems unhappy and could have a headache.

For a cold there is nothing a gp can do. If he has any difficulty breathing then get an urgent appointment.

Hope you all feel better soon.

RubyrooUK Fri 14-Nov-14 06:59:27

I believe anything over 37.5 is official a fever in a baby. But even that isn't particularly high - with a cold, my baby would normally get temperatures between 38-39.8.

I only start worrying if we get to move towards the top of that scale and Calpol/Ibuprofen won't bring it down. Then it is straight away to the doctors.

In your case, I'd give Calpol and monitor your baby. I'd make an appointment for a baby with a high temperature that doesn't go down with Calpol (or struggling breathing etc) but not for a baby with a cold.

At the moment, it doesn't sound like your baby is struggling to breathe or highly feverish, so I'd just have a quiet day and keep an eye on them if you're worried.

OwlCapone Fri 14-Nov-14 06:59:34

I would "wait and see" too. I would probably give one dose of Calpol and see how he goes - I wouldn't necessarily give follow up doses every 4 (?) hours unless he was really miserable.

Parietal Fri 14-Nov-14 07:01:36

option 2. he doesn't have a temperature, don't panic, he might feel better after breakfast.

Beagadorsrock Fri 14-Nov-14 07:03:04

Thanks everyone smile

RoganJosh Fri 14-Nov-14 07:03:45

I'd take him to the dr if his temp goes up and you suspect a chest or ear infection.
I wouldn't go to the dr for a cold and a raised temperature though.

AuditAngel Fri 14-Nov-14 07:09:00

You could also put less clothes on him today so he doesn't overheat. When DD2 was 13 months old we had to call an ambulance (telephone doctors instructions) and the paramedics were delighted to find her stripped to her nappy with the windows wide open (November) to reduce her temp.

lougle Fri 14-Nov-14 07:36:29

37.3 is normal. Just TLC and keep an eye.

Theorientcalf Fri 14-Nov-14 17:59:00

37.3 is a normal temperature. I wouldn't give calpol unless he's miserable. Infact even with a high temperature the latest recommendation is not to give calpol or ibuprofen unless they're miserable or in pain. Sounds like it's just a cold, the GP won't do anything. Just keep an eye on it, lots of fluids and cuddles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now