Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

dentist advised to get 13 year old's milk teeth pulled out

(16 Posts)
Honeybadger1 Wed 12-Nov-14 17:15:53

Our dentist has suggested that as my 13 year old son still has several milk teeth we should have these pulled out. They are making his adult teeth come in uneven and dentist said he is quite old to still have so many baby teeth. I was worried his adult teeth were not straight and was told they would not fit a brace until they are all through.Has anyone else been advised to have a teenager's healthy milk teeth pulled out? It seems a bit radical

Arlagirl Wed 12-Nov-14 17:18:28

Yes.d's had two canines removed as they weren't budging.
His adult teeth gave grown in straight.

He was a bit of a wuss about having them extracted but having a day off school appeased him

divingoffthebalcony Wed 12-Nov-14 17:19:58

If they're making the adult teeth come in crooked you don't have much choice really. I had an adult canine start coming in before the milk tooth fell out. Was advised to wait. Waited and waited and meanwhile the canine was displaced upwards like a fang, and the incisor next to it came in twisted. The milk tooth was eventually extracted but the damage was done, and I needed five years of braces to sort my teeth out.

wellnowthenmardybum Wed 12-Nov-14 17:21:04

Dd had milk teeth pulled out, to speed up the process of getting braces. Alot of her friends got them pulled out for the same reasons. It was fine, bit uncomfy after but no real bad pain smile

pebblestack Wed 12-Nov-14 17:22:16

I'm no dentist but that sounds like odd advice.

My DD still had a good few milk teeth at 13. She is now nearly 15 and recently finished 2 years of orthodontic treatment - the orthodontist worked around the milk teeth and only fitted braces adult teeth, adding brackets to new teeth as they came through. None of her milk teeth were removed and her teeth are lovely now.

Twitterqueen Wed 12-Nov-14 17:23:46

It's not radical at all. It's very common and good advice (er, I'm not a dentist...). The 2nd teeth will come through a lot straighter if there's nothing in the way.

All 3 of my DCs have had them pulled. It runs in the family - I had mine pulled too.

ByTheWishingWell Wed 12-Nov-14 17:24:22

I had 4 milk teeth pulled out when I was 15 or 16. I wish I'd had them out sooner, as my adult teeth came in crooked and squashed in, and I ended up being about the only person at college with braces!

ShinySilver Wed 12-Nov-14 17:25:24

Has the dentist checked that he has adult teeth underneath those baby teeth? Some of my baby teeth never fell out and xrays showed there were no adult teeth underneath.

I still have those baby teeth now and I'm pushing 40!
So I needed my baby teeth - although perhaps your son would manage with less teeth if it would stop the rest being crooked.

MissYamabuki Wed 12-Nov-14 17:28:37

I am 36 and have a milk canine.

I wouldn't get rid of healthy teeth just yet.

pieceoftoast Wed 12-Nov-14 17:28:39

Yes, definitely get an x-ray to ensure all the teeth they want to pull have adult teeth underneath. My (adult) friend has all her milk teeth - they just didn't ever fall out as she didn't have another set in her skull!

Borttagen Wed 12-Nov-14 17:31:07

As with some previous posters I have milk teeth that have no adult teeth underneath at the grand old age of 34.
I've been warned as roots aslee shorter they might not last forever so would need to pay for bridge/implants but apart from potential future cost I've had no issues with them at all

ShinySilver Wed 12-Nov-14 17:33:02

Ooh look at all you other people with milk teeth - I've never met anyone else with them in real life! grin

TimeWarp Wed 12-Nov-14 17:34:56

I had ten of my baby teeth pulled out as the adult teeth were growing sideways. The molar that tried to come through my palatte was quite uncomfortable. I also had four adult teeth pulled at around the same time because of overcrowding. I don't think it's all that unusual.

Letthemtalk Wed 12-Nov-14 17:35:38

We've been this similar about dd. Her adult teeth are coming through, but her baby teeth are still there. She's 11. Dentist says that if he refers to the orthodontist while she still has them they will just refer back to him to have them pulled. We're giving it another 6 months to see if they come out themselves.

Honeybadger1 Wed 12-Nov-14 20:05:15

Thanks for all advice. We are going to the orthodontist on Friday so I will see what he advises

IceniMist Wed 12-Nov-14 20:12:29

Two milk teeth still at 37. My canines. They make pathetic canines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now