Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Looks like DD has a cold sore?!

(4 Posts)
MoonshineWashingLine Wed 12-Nov-14 07:58:36

Dd is nearly 3 and has had dry chapped lips for a couple of days which we have been treating with lipbalm, as you do, but she's woken up this morning with what looks like it might be a cold sore! I have never had one so I don't know anything about them but she was with her dad yesterday and on Sunday but I've no idea if he has them as I wouldn't be able to tell as he has quite a big beard.

Are coldsores always caught from someone else or can they just appear? I'd hate to think she's stuck with them for ever sad

LizzieMint Wed 12-Nov-14 18:49:44

Always caught from someone else and I believe they have to have an active cold sore (before it's crusted over) for it to be contagious, I'm sure you'd notice that even with a beard.

Fingers crossed it's not, I suffer from terrible cold sores and dread passing them on to my kids. sad

2stixoftwix Wed 12-Nov-14 19:20:33

No you don't have to have an active sore to pass it on.

Many people who suffer have whats called asymptomatic shedding

Asymptomatic shedding means that virus is present on the skin without causing any symptoms. If enough virus is being shed when direct skin contact occurs, someone else may become infected.
Asymptomatic shedding is often associated with herpes simplex because so many people carry this virus without knowing - they do not see or feel any symptoms - hence they are ‘asymptomatic carriers’.
As many as 2 out of 3 people who contract the virus, catch it from someone who does not know that he or she has the virus. This could be from the lips of someone who is unaware of a cold sore.

My dd caught the virus aged about 3 - not sure if she got kissed - or simply picked it up at pre-school from something as simple as a pen,
I like you have never in my life had a cold sore however I am probably a carrier and one of the lucky ones not to suffer

6 in 10 people have the virus, same family as chicken pox

MoonshineWashingLine Thu 13-Nov-14 09:38:49

Thanks folks, turns out it was a false alarm. She had fallen and banged her lip at her dads the day before and he failed to tell me about it until after I asked him if he'd had a cold sore! Typical of him not to tell me something like that... :/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now