Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How can I tell if wheeze is on chest or in throat?

(14 Posts)
Dappymummy Tue 11-Nov-14 21:19:59

Dd who is 5 has had a cold. Started with a really loose cough and while asleep a rattle / wheeze. We have ventolin which I gave her tonight before bed, but just gone to check on her and I can hear a wheeze. Took her to Gp yesterday who said chest was clear. Not breathing fast and chest not sucking in. Can I presume she is ok at the moment? Could wheeze be coming from her chest?

Dappymummy Tue 11-Nov-14 21:21:10

Sorry it should have said * could wheeze be coming from throat*? Thanks

AnyFucker Tue 11-Nov-14 21:24:20

If it is a high pitched whistle it will not be coming from her throat

Is she diagnosed with asthma ?

I think you should call or attend your local emergency centre

AnotherStitchInTime Tue 11-Nov-14 21:31:00

Does it sound like www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG0-ukhU1xE?

The NHS has a symptom checker that can help you decide whether to attend A&E tonight or go to GP tomorrow, here.

bialystockandbloom Tue 11-Nov-14 21:31:53

Both my ds and dd have had bronchiolitis before, which has a definite chest wheeze - I think if she has it, you'd know. The chest/neck sucking is unmistakable. The rattly sound can seem alarming, but it can often just be the sound of the mucus coming from the upper respiratory tract, rather than a chest infection. And (just to keep us on our toes) is always worse at night! But of course, if you're still worried, I wouldn't worry at all about taking her back to the GP for another check. Does she have a high temp?

Putting a bowl of boiling water with Vicks melted in, and Vcks rubbed on chest seems to help with us. Dd has just turned 5 and every winter seems to get the same thing.

Dappymummy Tue 11-Nov-14 21:32:10

Thanks for your reply it's not really a high pitch noise more of a low rattle wheeze iyswim . Dh away so not great timing. Her breathing doesn't sound fast but I will keep a careful on her for next hour or so I make a decision.

AnyFucker Tue 11-Nov-14 21:36:41

5yo is a bit old for bronchiloitis in the absence of pre existing chest problems and/or complex needs

AnyFucker Tue 11-Nov-14 21:37:18

it is not normal for children to have added noises with their breathing

AnotherStitchInTime Tue 11-Nov-14 21:49:59

Dappy have a look at this website. There are audio files of different kinds of abnormal breathing that you can compare with. Listen to the crackles audios in particular as coarse crackles are low rattling sounds that can indicate pneumonia.

Dappymummy Tue 11-Nov-14 22:18:04

Thanks so much everyone. I have just carried her into a steamy bathroom which helped her cough lots o mucus up but unfortunately swallowed back down. Seems to have lost rattle sound at the moment but will sleep in her room to keep an eye on her.

AnyFucker Tue 11-Nov-14 22:44:13

children of that age will usually swallow mucous

keep your eye on her

if her work of breathing increases by any measure at all, take her to A+E

you never said if she is a diagnosed asthmatic

bialystockandbloom Tue 11-Nov-14 22:45:09

Yes, 5 probably too old for bronchiolitis, i just gave that example to illustrate how you might recognise breathing difficulties, as opposed to the after-effects of an upper respiratory tract infection. At this age it's not uncommon to have a viral wheeze after a cold. A nighttime cough can linger for ages after a cold, and have wheezing, without it meaning a chest infection. Pneumonia would most likely include a high temp.

But OP you could call 111 to get more advice. I'd probably take her back to GP tomorrow in any case.

Dappymummy Tue 11-Nov-14 23:14:04

Thanks everyone. Prescribed ventolin to cope with viral induced wheeze. No temperature and GP said chest was clear yesterday. Never diagnosed as asthmatic but I was as a child and lots allergies in family. This is the 3 rd night of sleeping on her floor and beginning to feel rather drained and unable to make decisions.

AnyFucker Tue 11-Nov-14 23:15:57

That sounds really tough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now