Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Flu Nasal Spray

(7 Posts)
yomellamoHelly Tue 11-Nov-14 16:32:16

My son's been offered this. He's severely disabled and breathes through his mouth. If I shut his mouth or he has a drink / food he gasps for breath once his mouth is clear.
I haven't found anything on-line about how this spray works and am wondering if there is any point to doing this?

itstheyearzero Tue 11-Nov-14 16:44:08

If it's any consolation it is administered really quickly. If he breathes through his mouth I think he should be ok but then I know nothing of his disability. Sorry probably no help at all am I?

DS 3yrs old had it yesterday. It's like a tiny syringe obviously no needle, they put half dose up each nostril. DS had his mouth open. Few seconds later he could feel it trickling down his throat, it tasted nice he told me.

beautifulgirls Tue 11-Nov-14 16:53:17

It doesn't rely on them breathing through their nose to administer. DD1 is a mouth breather and struggles with closing her mouth and using her nose - no bother to get the vac done. It didn't distress any of my three when they had it done really either.

youbethemummylion Tue 11-Nov-14 16:57:14

Its absorbed really quickly and doesn't actually have to be breathed in iyswim

Sidge Tue 11-Nov-14 16:58:33

It's 0.1ml in each nostril, of a very fine mist (I give it!). It's rapidly absorbed through the mucosa of the nasal passages.

He doesn't need to sniff, and won't need to close his mouth.

yomellamoHelly Tue 11-Nov-14 17:06:19

Thank you all. Very helpful to know. Couldn't see anything on their website about whether they need to inhale it for it to work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now