Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

A question for parents of asthmatic children.

(5 Posts)
octopal Tue 11-Nov-14 12:46:43

Does your child with asthma get ill more than others?

My dd is 8 and was diagnosed with asthma as a toddler. Has been very stable for couple of years to the point that the paed took her off her preventer in summer '13. All was good until she had a bad attack this Spring. She is back on the preventer and her asthma is well controlled now but she is always catching one thing or another.

Since she went back to school in Sept. she has had 3 vomiting bugs, tonsilitis and a chest infection which kept her out of school and also a couple of colds she didn't miss school with.
She is very pale at the moment too.
She eats well and her sleep is a bit erratic but in general she gets enough I think. I am giving her supplements at the moment.

We went through this a few years ago and I got no help from her paed at the time. He said some kids are more prone to bugs/colds etc and she'd grow out of it. BUT in the year that her asthma was at it's best she was also not ill in any other ways.

Her paed has retired and we are seeing a new doctor in a couple of weeks. Is there anything I should ask her about - I think she will be having blood tests for her allergies anyway so could I ask for other things to be checked too? I'm going to ask for her iron levels to be checked. Any other suggestions?

She hates missing school. I have another dc who eats the same, sleeps the same amount etc and is rarely ever ill. It makes dd feel bad to always be the one struggling.

Thanks.

Sirzy Tue 11-Nov-14 16:27:11

DS is nearly 5, has severe asthma but other than Chicken Pox and scarlet fever his illnesses have all been chest related (bronchiolitis, croup, pnumonia, chest infections and of course asthma attacks)

Other than that he is pretty healthy! Just his lungs let him down really

octopal Tue 11-Nov-14 18:37:46

Thanks Sirzy. Does your ds miss much school with his asthma or other chest infections etc?

DD misses quite a lot. She loves school and I am careful to only keep her off when needed but obviously with D&V bugs we have to wait it out and with chest infections she usually needs a couple of days on antibiotics to be up to school.

The school are aware of her history and are very understanding but it is far from ideal at the moment.

Sirzy Tue 11-Nov-14 21:42:31

Yes, he is only in reception but missed 8 days last half term

306235388 Tue 11-Nov-14 22:43:44

Ds is almost 8 and certainly used to but I don't think he does anymore . He suffered ear and chest infections until he was 7 though and so we are far from out of the woods. He wSnt too bad for viruses until he got pneumonia and that seemed to knock his immune system and he caught everything going for a couple of years z

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now