Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Is an itchy bottom always worms?

(5 Posts)
TickledOnion Mon 10-Nov-14 19:38:19

I noticed that DD1 (5yo) has scratched her buttocks quite badly. She gets lots of itchy eczema type rashes some of which go with moisturiser or eumovate. The itchy bits aren't directly round her anus, but in the crease and further out. Is it worth seeing a Dr or should I just get us all treated for worms?

3littlefrogs Mon 10-Nov-14 19:40:55

Worms cause itching round the anus, mostly at night.
What you are describing sounds more like allergy to washing powder, soap, bubblebath etc, or eczema.

lougle Mon 10-Nov-14 19:44:03

Generally worms itch at night. Other itching can be dry skin or insufficient cleaning of the bottom after the toilet.

Personally I only ever treat the affected child, don't damp dust or boil wash linen, etc., and it's done and dusted very quickly. I always remove the worm(s) once identified as the cause, though, because my girls get incredibly sore and can't sleep once aware of it. I think if I let the storm wiggle around and waited for the medicine to do it's job, there would be a little army of them and it would be important to do the above.

TickledOnion Mon 10-Nov-14 19:46:52

Thanks 3littlefrogs. I'll try moisturiser and eumovate for a few days and see how it goes. I haven't changed soap or washing powder, but maybe her dad has.

TickledOnion Mon 10-Nov-14 19:48:13

lougle I've not seen any worms, either on her or in her poo. Do you only see them after using medication?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now